Top 4 Homework Spots for Caffeine Lovers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

We’re nearing the halfway point of the semester when the homework, exams and essays are all building up in a pile so high you are starting to wonder if there is an end in sight. If you are anything like me, then you are incapable of getting anything done without at least three cups of coffee in you. When you get sick of the Library or the IMU (and if you haven’t yet, I promise you will), you are going to start looking around for other places you can study – and look no further than the best spots in Iowa City to fulfill your caffeine and homework needs!

1. Prairie Lights

Once you’ve taken an appropriate amount of time to look around the super cool bookstore section of Prairie Lights, go up to the second floor and find a nice table in the cafe section. This is a favorite spot for Iowa City’s rich population of readers and writers, so soak in the literary atmosphere and let it propel you towards success (and towards actually completing your reading).

2. Java House

If you have not been to the Java House downtown Iowa City location, you are seriously missing out! Java House has a huge spread of chairs, couches and tables for you to camp out for hours during those busy weeks. Get a chai latte in a for-here mug and enjoy an atmosphere that can only be found in locally owned coffeehouses.

3. Starbucks

You’ve probably already discovered this one for yourself, but Starbucks is a really good place to get your coffee and get some serious stuff done especially if you come during the off-hours, like Sunday evenings. I am the proud owner of a gold Starbucks card with my name on it, so even though I love a good small coffeehouse, I will never abandon my Starbucks app. Download it, cash in on those reward points and get free drinks for those long Sunday night cram sessions.

4. The High Ground Cafe

Like Java House, High Ground is another coffeehouse with a ton of seating for people like you and me to sit for five hours during exam week. There are tons of great drink options and daily trivia questions to get you a couple cents off your order. Make sure to bring a charger and snag a spot on the couch in front of the fireplace.

If you are stressed this semester, take a deep breath, drink a cup of coffee and remember that anything is possible with a little caffeine!

Image credits: 1, 2, 3, 4

Amelia Johnson is a third-year student at the University of Iowa from Charleston, South Carolina, double-majoring in English & Creative Writing and Journalism & Mass Communication.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.