Theatre at Iowa: Upcoming Ten Minute Festival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

One of the reasons that the University of Iowa is such a spectacular school is the range of involvement that a student could have. The are over five hundred student organizations at the university, from sporting activities to a cappella groups, the university has several things to which a person could dedicate their time.

Though most students are familiar with the sporting events available, I feel not enough people are exposed to the wonders of the theatre department. As a theatre major, I’ve grown well acquainted to those around the department and ways in which I could be involved. From auditioning, to play submissions, to student directing, the theatre allows for a range of participation from non-majors who’ve taken interest in the department.

The deadlines for involvement of most of these activities have passed. However, there are still an entire semester of plays to be seen! Our department and the actors who’ve auditioned work really passionately to have their productions go well, so it’s a wonderful feeling of gratification to see that the time and effort is appreciated.

This year, after having been in my first production, I was asked if I wanted to try directing. The Ten Minute Play Festival at the University of Iowa provides really great opportunites for artists of all kinds within the department to try their hand at something new, so I agreed and was able to experience something that I hadn’t seen myself doing before.

The Ten Minute Play Festival auditions took place in December, and for the past few weeks, since the end of winter break, the playwrights, directors, and designers have been individually preparing their actors for opening night. The festival has two components: There is a staged series and a reading series. The staged series will take place over the course of four days. Thursday, February 11th through Saturday the 13th, will all have performances at 8:00pm in Theatre B at the University of Iowa Theatre Building, located at 200 N Riverside Drive, Iowa City, Iowa. On Sunday, February 14th, the staged series will have a performance at 2:00pm.

The reading series will only have one performance: on Saturday, February 13th, at 2:00pm, in Room 172 of the Theatre Building. Additionally, all of the ten minute plays in the reading series and staged series were written by undergraduate students.

Tickets for Gallery Productions are available in the Theatre lobby one hour before showtime.Tickets are $5 for non-students and free for University of Iowa students with a valid ID. Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to attend all University of Iowa sponsored events. If you are a person with a disability who requires a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in this program, please contact the Department of Theatre Arts in advance at 319.335.2700.

In the addition to the Ten Minute Festival, information on other plays for this semester can be found here.

Ten Minute Play Festival

Feb 11, 2016 to Feb 14, 2016

By: Undergraduate Playwrights

Location: Theatre B

Thursday, February 11, 2016 – 8:00pm

Friday, February 12, 2016 – 8:00pm

Saturday, February 13, 2016 – 2:00pm

Saturday, February 13, 2016 – 8:00pm

Sunday, February 14, 2016 – 2:00pm

Animals Associated with Suicide by Jessie Bowman, directed by Jacob Prall

Clockwork by Eileen Campbell, directed by Hoejeong Yoo

Take Me Home by Julia Everitt, directed by Will Asmus

Ollyoxals by Ash Pierce, directed by Taylor Claman

On the Edge by Laura Townsend, directed by Emma Genesen

Whiskey by Chelsea Wing, directed by Lexi Morsch

Pause for the Past by Allan Zeng, directed by Katy Karas

The following plays will receive a public staged reading on the afternoon of Saturday, February 13 at 2:00 p.m. in Room 172:

Savior by Alyssa Cokinis

Kissy Robot by Connett Croghan

Check Your Privilege by Lindsey Francisco

No More Waste Lands by David Freeman, directed by Matt Schutz

Not Alone by Sophie Katz, directed by Ash Pierce

A Weird Blue Light by Matt Schutz, directed by David Freeman

Please be advised, these productions contain strong language, strobe effects, and violence.

Artistic Team

Producer

Sam Collier

Lighting Designers

Rachele Ekstrand, Hiram Alexander Orozco

Scenic Designer

Aurora Green

Costume Designer

Erica Cole

Stage Manager

Alisha Lemon

Assistant Stage Manager

Anna Tonsfeldt

Taylor Claman is pursuing degrees at the University of Iowa in Theatre Arts and Spanish, with a writing certificate. On campus, she is both a University of Iowa Honors student and a member of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars. She has written for the University of Iowa Honors Newsletter. She is also a founding member of Gamma Rho Lambda, a progressive sorority chartered at the University of Iowa during the spring of 2015.She is a quirky, overzealous adventurer of cultures and new experiences. She has dipped her toes in playwriting, acting, directing, and fiction writing. At Iowa, she played the lead of Klara in the production of Nina Morrison's Feminaál. She also has been in a few readings. She has plans to study abroad in Argentina and Ireland, in the next few years, and hopes to be able to continue traveling, and being involved in theatre, with whatever work life leads her to in the future.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.