Tailgating T-Shirts: How To Turn An Old Shirt Into A Trendy Top

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Football season is finally here. For college women, it is a break from a long week where we can take some time to relax, watch a game, eat good food and, of course, pick out a cute outfit. Picking out an outfit for the game is always a hard choice when it comes to what will be comfy, what is reasonable with the temperature and what looks flattering with the shape of your body. Every year the trend seems to change from game day bibs to jerseys. And this year’s trend? T-Shirts! Everyone has old t-shirts sitting around that they want to get rid of. This year’s trend is the perfect opportunity for that. Old t-shirts can be cut and styled to fit your style as well as your body shape. Here’s some fun ways to style your t-shirt.

Bandeau

This style one of the easier shirts to make. Simply lay out your t shirt and cut two lines horizontally straight across your shirt. You can make it as thin or thick as you want. After you finish cutting, cut a vertical line in the center of the back of the shirt so you can tie it around you. If you want to make it a little fancier, you can cut more lines and tie it like a ‘tie blanket’ in the back. This style is most flatter for those who have a smaller chest or feel confident wearing strapless shirts!

Loose Crop Top

My personal favorite, and the easiest style of shirt, the loose crop top. Simply take your t-shirt and cut the bottom part of your shirt in a straight line making it a crop top. You can leave the sleeves on, making it a t-shirt crop or simply cut around the seams of the sleeves making it a tank top. This style is the most flattering for all body types!

The Shoulder-Cut

One of the biggest trends in fashion today is open shoulders. Start at the top of your t-shirt and cut around the seam of the “collar” on your shirt. Be very careful not to cut beyond the collar or else your shirt will be too wide and slide off your body. After cutting the collar, try it on and see how wide you would like it, cut as needed. This trend is typically worn with t shirt sleeves however, if you feel fancy, you can make it into a thin spaghetti strap sleeves! To fancy it up, you can do a combination with the loose crop top. This style looks best with a comfy bralette and a choker. This style looks best on those with narrow set shoulders.

The Halter Top

Most likely the hardest style to successful cut but the cutest and most professional look! The halter top is a tricky t-shirt to accomplish but it can be done. First, follow the steps of the loose crop top. After that, begin to cut the on the seam of the collar leaving about five inches in the middle of the collar (where it connects to the front of the shirt). After you finish cutting around the collar, cut line at a slight diagonal on both sides removing the sleeves. This should give you enough fabric to tie it into a knot in the back finishing your halter top. This style is most flattering on those with thin arms and who feel comfortable with a completely open back!

My name is Claudia Jannes, and I am a junior at the University of Iowa! I am a English and creative writing major in hopes to become a high school English teacher. I am thankful for her campus for giving me a voice on campus and on the internet!
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.