This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

So, the time has come. Senior year is almost halfway over, and the panic is beginning to settle in now that winter break is just around the corner. Whether you have a job lined up for when you graduate or you don’t know if you even like the major you are graduating in, you can still take the break as a time to get refocused and set yourself up for success, without forgetting to give yourself a break.

College is an overwhelming environment, and having a break is a chance to give you the boost you need to finish that last semester strong. But how do you do that when you still have so much to plan, do, and prepare for? Well, there’s no one way to do winter break as a senior, but there are suggestions that might make the time easier. No matter what happens, you will thank yourself later when you can enjoy the time off and still be productive.

The hardest part about being productive on break, as simple as it sounds, is actually being productive. It is hard to motivate yourself when you are not in the classroom or have homework immediately in front of you that is calling you to get it done. So how do you get your work done when you still want free time? It is all about starting somewhere and finding the balance. Sometimes, we blow our fears out of proportion and avoid working on our work as a way to deal with the stress. However, this is unproductive, because the work you have doesn’t go away and only piles up. Then you end up feeling overwhelmed.

To get things done, when it’s the last thing you want to do, you must look toward yourself, because it all comes down to your personal strategies. Try to take a more approachable perspective to start. You don’t have to do everything on your to-do list all in one go or even know what needs to get done exactly, but maybe just take the next hour to do something, anything at all, and you will see yourself being productive. It could even be five minutes before another task is coming up, whatever time you do have, utilize it, and just get started. Sometimes, it’s getting started that is the hardest part. You will always feel better after you’ve started. Another important aspect is when you want a break but need to be proactive. Finding a strong balance with the rest of your life is the key to this. You don’t want to burn out before the new semester is underway, and you have new classes and schedules to attend to. So find ways to motivate, and reward yourself being focused.

Most seniors are trying to get a lot done before they graduate. Some are applying for more scholarships or study abroad programs, and others are updating and cleaning personal accounts or creating cleaner resumes or linked in profiles. Seniors have to plan for their futures. This includes applying for jobs,  graduate programs, and having to set a plan for themselves financially if they want to feel better about the transition from college life to “the real world”. This, of course, begins to become overwhelming. So how do you cope? By creating a balance for yourself. You can update your resume and go out and ice skate over winter break. You can finish writing that statement of interest for that grad school program and also go out to the movies with your family.

The best way to tackle it all is by finding your sweet spot and balancing work with free time. Have priorities but remember it is supposed to be a break, so you can get things done and enjoy life too. You can have your cake and eat it too if you force yourself to see the break as an opportunity as much as a needed time away from regular life. It is understandable too, that if you work over breaks have to watch over family or take on additional responsibilities. It might be the busiest you are and you may ask yourself, how can I do it all?

Her Campus is here to say to you in return, that somehow, someway, you will. But the only way you will is if you start. You hold yourself accountable to the work you have to do, and you go out there and do it. Then don’t forget to let yourself see your friends back home before it’s over, and January comes by too quickly. Because before you know it you will graduate, and life will continue moving forward. You will look back on yourself and thank yourself for all you’ve done and all that there is to look forward to ahead. So break out into the world, because it is your time now.

Image Credit: 1 2

Writing is my passion, hopefully reading is yours!
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.