burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Spring Style: What to Wear When It’s Not Quite Warm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Spring is in the air! And sometimes that means warm weather, and sometimes that means cold weather. But usually, it’s an irritating mix of the two. Often in late March through May, I’ll walk out my door in the morning freezing my tail off and walk back in later that day sweating bullets. This weather is a classic indication of spring, and we have to love it a little bit because it means that summer is right around the corner. However, it does make getting dressed a little tricky. Picking out an outift to match both the cold and warm sides of spring is difficult, but this guide might help when it comes to nailing both style and practicality.

1. 

This outfit is perfect for spring weather! A light dress won’t make you too hot, but the boots will keep your legs covered so that your skin isn’t freezing out in the open air.

2.

This outfit keeps you covered, but it’s still pretty light and does allow a little skin to breathe here and there. Cardigans are a great idea for spring temps because they provide just enough shelter for you if it’s a little chillier that day, but if it gets to toasty, you can easily take it off and maybe tie it around your waist.

3.

Wearing boots always keeps everything more snug and will keep you warm, but it’s nice to show a little arm to compensate. With a tank top-scarf combo, you make a great fashion statement but also dress for the weather.

4.

Spring is the perfect time for ripped jeans, seeing as they let in a little bit of the breezy air, and it’s finally a temperature that won’t give you frostbite! Another essential for the spring wardrobe is a light sweater. Some days a simple, thin cotton shirt won’t cut it, but a thinner sweater will. Just make sure it isn’t a thick, winter sweater or you could be sweating in no time.

5.

If a cardigan is too preppy for you, then a flannel is the perfect substitute. Comfy, cute and casual but not too heavy for that spring weather!

6.

Vests are a hot trend right now, and they’re also a great way to fight the awkward temperature limbo this time of year. For days that aren’t cold enough to need a jacket but still not warm enough to go completely free and loose, vests are the perfect happy medium!

7. 

Okay, so overalls are a bit out there, but I am a huge overall advocate. Besides being comfortable, an entire outfit in itself, incredibly cute, and having great pockets, overalls are also amazing for spring weather. Toss on a light shirt and you’re set!

8.

Layers are the way to go when it comes to unpredictable weather. Throw on a sweater! A cardigan? Go for it! A scarf? Add it on! Heck, even toss on a jacket over all that! As the day goes on, and the weather gets warmer, you can just take the layers off! Just be sure you have a purse big enough to stash all your discarded clothing.

So, collegiettes, hopefully this will help you in the decision we face every morning in front of our closets. So, layer up, lift your face to the sun, and enjoy spring while it lasts.

Emily is a sophomore at the University of Iowa studying Communication Studies and Event Planning. She is a member of Alpha Chi Omega and her plans for her future are to simply eat so many waffles she becomes Leslie Knope.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.