Spring Into Love: The Best Spring Date

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

We’ve said it before, but this time it finally feels true: Spring is here and we can finally go out without freezing our asses off. No more worrying about slipping on ice in heels (because ice is the only reason you would stumble, right?), no more worrying about snow staining your suede shoes. To celebrate the change in weather, why not go out with that special someone on a spring date? The idea is simple: You get four courses at four different restaurants. Drinks at one place, appetizers at another — you get the idea. This date is great because there is ample time for conversation, you’ll get to explore downtown, and you can walk off some of your calories.

Drinks
Try Brothers on a Friday for 3 Dollar You Call Its before 8:00. The beer menu is great, and though the mixed drink selection is a little basic, you can get all the classics. If you want a specialty drink, Formosa has delicious martinis ranging from lemon drops to wedding cakes.

Appetizers
Share Wine Lounge may seem a little pricey, but on Friday afternoons they have “Fridays with Class” where select small plates are half price and wine is $4 per glass. Try the cheese plate (pictured above) for only $4 or a delicious flatbread. Devotay has a wide range of tapas with plenty of vegetarian options and local ingredients. From kale salad to albondigas (lamb and beef meatballs), there are exciting options for anyone.

Entrée
The Brown Bottle is a great place to get Italian food that’s not too expensive. The penne with vodka sauce is rich and delightful, and easy to eat on a date. If pasta sounds too heavy for you, they also offer chicken, beef and seafood specialties. Atlas has a unique menu with things like a Greek Goddess Burrito or Jamaican Jerk Chicken. Though the prices look a little high, it is worth treating yourself on a date.

Dessert
Molly’s Cupcakes has a wide range of cupcakes that are the perfect size to top off your night. Yotopia is a lighter option (depending on how many toppings you put on) that is cheap, fun and customizable.

By the end of the night you will know more about your date and about downtown Iowa City. Just remember to pace yourself, because it is easy to get too full for dessert. And what is a date without dessert?

*Photos from http://www.sxc.hu/ and Kathleen McGowan

My name is Kathleen McGowan. I am a junior at the University of Iowa double majoring in English and Journalism. My dream is to publish a collection of nonfiction essays or short stories. I enjoy writing, reading, cooking, and keeping up with TV and entertainment news. Feel free to follow me on twitter: @mcgowankj