Spring Break Essentials to Pack for Your Getaway

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

While the weather outside might still be frightful, it seems like spring break is approaching faster than you can run to catch the cambus. Luckily with spring break coming up, we can release the stresses of school and sit back and relax. However, you can’t have a stress free vacay if you’re stressing over what to pack and making sure you’re not forgetting anything. Lucky for you, I have provided some spring break essentials that will leave you prepared and the only questions you’ll be asking yourself is whether you should have a piña colada or a cooling daiquiri. 

Beach Tote

With a big beach tote, you can literally fit anything and everything to ensure you can live the beach bum life properly. A big enough bag would also be perfect as a carry on and allow you to fit stuff several things in your bag rather than trying to stuff everything in your suitcase or paying extra for a heavy bag. With the right bag, you can fit other essentials like: 

• Flight information (tickets)
  • Passport and other forms of identification 
  • Cellphone
  • Headphones
  • Sunglasses
  • Ibuprofen/other medications
  • Wallet
  • Beach Towel (if necessary)
  • Gum
  • Snacks
  • Camera
Clothing Essentials

Granted all spring break trips may not be the same, there are certain items that are essential in all types of weather and that will make for a great way to flex on Instagram. 

• Jeans 
  • comfortable shoes – whether it be comfy flip flops you can wear on the beach or gym shoes/sneakers for a hike, you always want a good pair of shoes that won’t make your feet want to fall off.
  • nicer pair of shoes – heels, wedges, etc. 
  • 3 to 5 swimsuits (Buzzfeed currently has a great list of sites with super cute bathing suits here)
  • 3 tank tops and/or tees 
  • 3 going-out tops 
  • Sweatshirt or cardigan 
  • 2 nicer/going-out bottoms 
  • 2 pairs of shorts 
  • Dresses – for going out or for something casual like a T-shirt dress
  • PJs 
  • Leggings 
  • Underwear and bras (at least one set for every day you’re there, plus 1 to 2 extra)
  • Hat (floppy beach hat or baseball cap whichever you prefer)
Toiletries 

Whether you burn easily or not, protecting your skin from the pesky UV rays is extremely important and should never be skipped. Just because you go on vacation doesn’t mean your skincare is on break. Taking care of your skin care and hygiene should still be a top priority. Although there are liquid limits on airplanes, certain products offer travel sized versions, and stores like Target and Walmart provide travel sized reusable bottles that allow you to transfer products you already have at home into them. Here are some toiletry items you should never forget:

• Sunscreen 
  • Moisturizer
  • Shampoo
  • Body Wash
  • Toothbrush 
  • Toothpaste
  • Face Wash
  • Deodorant 
  • Feminine Care Products
  • Brush
  • Hair Ties 
  • Dry Shampoo
  • Razor & Shaving Cream 
  • Moisturizer for body and face
Positive Attitude

Lastly, while this may not seem like a big deal, it is extremely important to keep a positive attitude while on vacation. Whether you’re with your family or with your friends, it is so important to keep morale high and keep negative attitudes back at home. Nobody like’s a debby downer when they’re trying to relax, going into your vacay with the right mindset will lead for your spring break to be just the same. 

Image Credit: 1,2,3, and 4

UI student, studying Journalism Mass Communications, International Business and Spanish.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.