This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

We all know that spring break, specifically for college students, is supposed to be all about getting away from the stress and chaos of school and having the time of our lives while we are still young and carefree. All fun and no worries, right? Actually, no. Don’t get me wrong; I hope everyone has a great time. But spring break is also a time where many college students get together in large groups, usually on a beach, and decide to participate in potentially life-changing behaviors. The mix of booze, babes and beaches makes it a perfect atmosphere for a catastrophe. It is important to think safely over break while still having fun.

Panama City, Cancun, South Padre… what’s the first thing that comes to mind when you hear these spring break destinations? BOOZE. Although Panama City has just banned the consumption of alcohol on it’s beach, for years these destinations have been places that students go and are known to drink nonstop all week long. According to the Journal of American College Health, college females have reported to drinking at least 10 standard drinks a day, men at least 18, over spring break. This is what is called binge drinking and can lead to alcohol poisoning. If you choose to participate in drinking over spring break, make sure to be aware of how many drinks you can handle and have had to be sure you do not drink too much. Also be sure to eat prior to and during drinking alcohol to avoid just having alcohol in your system. 

Alcohol poisoning is not the only concern for consuming too much alcohol over break. Casual sexual encounters are more likely to come into play when alcohol is involved, which leads to the transmission of STD’s and STI’s. According to www.scprc.com, 75% of college students reported rarely or never using a condom over spring break, even when having encounters with numerous partners. This statistic is frightening due to the fact that many STD’s and STI’s have huge consequences. My advice to you is to ALWAYS play it safe. If you choose to participate in sexual activity over break, make sure to use some sort of protection if not multiple forms of protection. But do remember, protection does not entirely eliminate the risks.

Sexual assault is another concern over spring break.  Remember that consent can NEVER be given while under the influence of alcohol, so it is always important to not participate in sexual activity until both partners are sober. It is also very important to never put down your drink, take a drink from someone you know, or drink alcohol that you do not know where it came from. This will eliminate your chances of being drugged.

Another important reminder is to always stay with people that you came with. Bad things are more likely to happen when you are alone, and your friends can always help you get out of an uncomfortable conversation. NEVER be alone while on spring break especially if you are under the influence. The buddy system (thank your parents for teaching you that one) is a real thing that should be happening at all times over break. 

A few other reminders: stay hydrated with water throughout your week, always keep your phone and cash with you, do not drink and drive, and keep track of your surroundings at all times. 

I know this sounds like I am a total fun hater, but these are just a few things that everyone needs to be reminded of when going out into the spring break world.  Please, please, please have a plan before the trip starts and make the decisions that you know you should be making. I care about you all and want your spring breaks to be the best time ever, but that doesn’t mean you have to forget about safety. Be safe, have fun, and make tons and tons of memories!

Happy spring breaking, collegiettes!

Photos: 

http://www.emeraldviewresorts.com/wp-content/uploads/pcb.jpg

http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/library/youth_alcohol2.jpg

http://www.womensforum.com/images/stories/c_living/how-to-stay-safe-on-s…

Hi, my name is Lexi Atzen. I am a Sophomore at the University of Iowa and am working on a major in Journalism and Mass Communication with an interest in Human Relations. I have strong interests in running, writing, drinking coffee, and football. You can catch me in Kinnick on gamedays and in a coffee shop any other time.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.