AD9DDB9E 4EDA 4BDE 8FD2 36A4632E618Ejpeg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
AD9DDB9E 4EDA 4BDE 8FD2 36A4632E618Ejpeg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Bopp

Sorority Life: Living In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

It is that time of year again when we all need to start thinking about where we are going to live next year. Sure, the residence halls are super convenient and close to campus, but maybe one year was enough. I bet the apartments are calling your name, though. Well, hang on. There is still one option that you might not have considered, living in a sorority house. 

Living in a sorority house is an experience that you will never get again in your life. Just think, when will you ever get to live with 35 or more of your friends again? You will not. Living in will give you the opportunity to make so many memories and get closer with so many people. If you are not convinced yet, I have so many more reasons why living in a sorority house is so great.

Gaining Friendships

While living in the house, you will genuinely become close friends with so many different girls. Some of them will be your walking partner to and from class. Others will be the girls you meet downstairs in the living room to watch Bachelor in Paradise every Monday and Tuesday night with. Then you have those friends that are your roommates or simply just the girls that come into your room every night. Those are the ones you look at and you just know that they will be your lifelong friends. All of these types of friendships are made because you get to come home to these ladies everyday. They are the ones that are there to fold your laundry when you forget about them in the dryer. They also never fail to come pick you up from work when it’s dark and chilly just so you do not have to walk in the dark alone. You are not going to want to pass up this chance to make this type of friendship. 

Your Own Chef!

Did I mention you have someone who makes you delicious food? When you live in a sorority house, you get a chef who makes lunch and dinner every day of the week and brunch on the weekends. If you are on campus during the lunch or dinner times and can not make it back, then you can get a late plate, or a meal that is wrapped up and put in the fridge until you can get home. Another benefit of living in the house is that there are always girls around to eat with. Say goodbye to eating alone in the dining hall when all of your friends are busy, because now the majority of your friends are eating in the house with you every night. Imagine getting home from a long day, walking into the dining room, and having all of your sisters ask you how your day went or how you did on that exam they knew you were studying for. It really does make you feel special! 

Getting Ready is a Group Endeavor

One of my favorite things about living in a sorority house is definitely getting ready with everyone. If you think that you are going to be picking out your outfit or doing your hair by yourself, you have another thing coming. If you have nothing to wear, there is no need to worry because your closet just got 35 or more times bigger. As if all of that was not reason enough, you get your own personal hype squad that will tell you just how beautiful you really are. You do not even have to ask. 

You Have a House to Call Home

Last, but not least, you get the opportunity to live in a beautiful house close to campus at a cheaper price than any other rental place or residence hall. When you get home, it actually feels like you are home. If you want to go watch a movie, you can. We have a huge collection of movies in the living room and a group of girls that will come running downstairs to watch it with you. If you want to study, there are so many spaces in the house that perfect for it. Living in a sorority house becomes your Home away from Home. 

If you will not take my word for it, read what some of the ladies said about their decision to live in the house:

“I like living in the house because I have gotten so much closer with my sisters. I know that I can go to them when I need help. It makes me feel supported and loved.”

– Allyson A.

“I like living in the house because it is nice to have a place to call home and knowing that I am always loved and supported here. This is a safe place and that no matter what is going on in my life I know that I will always figure it out, and if not, the people here will always have my back.”

– Sam B.

“I like living in the house because you get to see everyone more and I feel like you grow closer to everyone because you don’t have to make plans. I like going to dinner every night because we can just sit and talk.”

– Aidan O.

Living in the sorority house will never be just some place you sleep. You become family with all of the people that live here. The house becomes a home. Just think of all the memories you will make getting ready, eating dinner, and going out with your friends!

Delaney is a journalism major with a certificate in sustainability at the University of Iowa. Her dream career is to become a Marine Biologist and advocate for the environment through research and writing. In her free time, she enjoys music, friends, and the occasional ice cream venture (Okay, maybe not so occasional).
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.