Songs That Will Make You Feel Like the Star of a Coming of Age Film

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

I want you to think back for a moment. Think back to when you were 8 years old listening to music on a rainy day in the backseat of your parents’ Honda Civic, staring out the window, pretending to be missing your star-crossed lover from whom you’ve been forbidden to see. Or, think to that time that you and your best friend were laughing until your lungs hurt and you felt like it was your world and everyone else was just living in it. Wouldn’t it be great to feel that way whenever you wanted? Lucky for you, I’ve done the work for you and compiled a list of songs that will make you feel like YOU are the main character, and we’re all just adding to your cinematic masterpiece. Open your Spotify people and pop in those headphones, you’re heading to the “big screen.”

airpods and phone on laptop
Photo by Behar Zenuni from Unsplash

Scene 1. The song playing during your opening montage and credits.

Let’s set the tone of the movie!

• Spiderhead by Cage the Elephant. Tell me you don’t picture some dramatic fade from the title of the film to a shot of the main character staring at themselves in the mirror when you hear this song.

• Time to Pretend by MGMT. I can just see the shot of the street with the credits playing over it.

• Seventeen by Peach Pit. In case you want a less angsty start to your feature film.

Scene 2. The song playing while you’re in school staring at the clock, impatiently waiting for class to end.

Tik tok, tik tok, tik tok…

• Mariposa by Peach Tree Rascals. Not gonna lie, I play this song while doing my homework sometimes just to make my life seem more interesting.

• When I’m Small by Phantogram. This song was definitely already in a coming of age film, which only makes me feel more like the star of a movie when it’s on.

• Flaunt by Girls Love Shoes. Can’t you see this playing as the bell rings and the main character is walking home from school?

Scene 3. The song playing after your screaming match with your parents.

They just don’t understand. 

• Teenagers by My Chemical Romance. I cannot explain to you how powerful I feel when listening to this song.

• Haunted Lust by The Happy Fits. This song could definitely play while the main character rips posters off their wall and then runs away.

• Call Me by Blondie. Honestly, play this song after any argument and you’ll feel like you just won an Olympic gold medal.

Scene 4. The song playing when you walk into that high school party.

You know, the scene where high school parties look a lot more glamorous than they actually are.

• Perfect Places by Lorde. Everytime I walked into a party last year this song was most definitely playing in my head.

• Boom Clap by Charli XCX. Look, I already know this song was a staple of a certain 2014 film, but it is the perfect party scene song, I swear.

• Oblivion by Grimes. And cue the dramatic opening of the front door of someone’s parent’s house.

Bettina Strauss/Netflix

Scene 5. The song playing when you are falling in love.

You’re hanging out with them and realize they’re just PERFECT.

• Affection by BETWEEN FRIENDS. The perfect song for a driving at night scene, just saying.

• Until We Get There by Lucius. Giving me Edward and Bella vibes.

• I’m Full by Wallows. This song would most definitey complete any falling in love montage.

Scene 6. The song playing when everything starts to fall apart.

This is that ‘stare out the window’ scene we’re all way too familiar with reenacting.

• Feeling Whitney by Post Malone. I really can’t explain how badly this song makes me want to scream and cry.

• Ribs by Lorde. If you haven’t driven around in the rain to this song pretending to be in a movie you’re absolutely missing out.

• Cherry by Harry Styles. Any sad scene in a movie will be made 10x sadder with this song.

Scene 7. The song playing during the resolution and end credits.

And this is usually when I’m crying, regardless if the ending even calls for it.

• Violet by Bad Suns. This song definitely makes you feel ready to take on the world.

• Run Away with Me by Carly Rae Jepsen. I could most definitely picture myself crying in the movie theater while this song plays over the end credits.

• Fever Dream by mxmtoon. It’s like this song was written for a teen film soundtrack.

Now, go turn these songs on and live out your “movie” girl!

Lally Morales is a sophomore at the University of Iowa majoring in Journalism and Mass Communication with a certificate in Entrepreneurial Management. Outside of writing for Her Campus, Lally enjoys playing the piano, watching Netflix, and teaching herself French.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.