Slushied! Some Lessons About Music From ‘Glee’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Over Thanksgiving break, I started Glee for the first time. I hadn’t seen a single episode, which is a little crazy considering I am a lover of any TV show about teens, and I participated in show choir in high school. As soon as I started the show, I discovered what I had been missing out on for years: the likeable characters, dramatic relationships and, most importantly, the amazing musical performances. Through the music made by the characters, I realized what an appreciation I hold for music in my life. These are some of the things Glee taught me about music.

1. Music allows you to express how you really feel

Glee demonstrates that music is a great way to reveal your true emotions to others when words won’t do the job. Whether it’s Santana singing “Landslide” to Brittany to share her feelings for her or Blaine singing “Teenage Dream” to Kurt when he feels guilty for something he has done or perhaps a group number in which people of different backgrounds can share a song, music is a crucial part to communication. While in real life most of us don’t break out into song when we don’t know what to say, Glee inspires me to listen closely to lyrics and find songs that I identify with.

2. Go out of your music comfort zone

The past couple years, I have pretty much listened to pop and alternative pop exclusively with some musicals thrown in there. Through Glee, I discovered so many different groups and genres from Rachel and Kurt belting out a Broadway classic to Puck vibing to a slow, rock song to Sam singing a country song. I discovered that a lot of songs I normally wouldn’t listen to, I genuinely liked. I have opened myself to more oldies, rock and musicals since watching Glee, and it’s made me love listening to music even more.

3. The world would be boring with no music

It’s easy to forget how big of a role music plays in our lives when we don’t stop and think about how much of our day involves music. Glee shows that music can be one of the most positive parts of life, whether it’s performing, watching others, jamming out by ourselves or zoning out with headphones. It is so prevalent in our daily lives, and we each have a unique set of music that we listen to. It allows us to feel and connect to emotions that we may be afraid to show in the real world, and I think that makes life a heck of a lot more special.

4. Music creates similarities, not differences

In Glee, everybody has a different story and the amount of diversity is huge including: different races, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, disability and intelligence level. In the group they are all able to relate through their love for music and performing. Instead of creating divisions between people, music allows people to come together and simply enjoy the same things. I think the world could always use a little more music to allow us to come together.

Thank you, Glee, for all of the inspiring musical performances and the music discoveries as a result. I love you. 

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.