This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

It’s that time of year again, folks; time to pick out Halloween costumes! Picking the perfect outfit for this holiday can be quite the difficult task, and purchasing them can become quite expensive. However, there is an alternative to spending the entirety of your monthly paycheck on shiny pieces of fabric that you will wear a single time. This alternative is make your own, one-of-kind costumes!  Figuring out the perfect outfit to create is always a tough decision. It’s even harder to find items in your closet that will help you to put together the perfect get-up for your Halloween escapades. That’s where Pinterest and a little inspiration come in handy. To kick start your DIY projects, I have compiled a few costume ideas of my own.

Costume #1: Bubble Gum Machine

There’s no better costume than one that’s dedicated to candy, am I right?! This costume is extremely simple to create and will not deplete your wallet.

Items you will need:

• Colorful pompoms
  • White tank-top
  • Skater skirt (other types will work as well)
  • Fabric glue
  • Construction paper/marker
  • Safety pins

To construct this costume, you must simply attach pompoms to your tank-top with fabric glue. Since your skirt is the base of your bubble gum machine, you will need to pin the construction paper with 25 cents printed on the front; this adds a more realistic touch to your outfit. (If you do not have some of these items, check out the dollar store or local retailer that carries inexpensive items.) For the finishing touch, carry around a small bag of bubble gum. Not only will you be the biggest hit at that party, but your breath will also be minty-fresh the entire night—it’s a win-win!

Costume #2: Netflix and Chill

Are you and your friend looking for the cutest BFF costume on the market? Well look no further because Netflix has once again come to the rescue!

Items you will need:

• One oversized red t-shirt and one oversized blue or white t-shirt
  • Iron-on letters

Making this costume is very easy. All you must do is iron on letters that spell out “Netflix” on one t-shirt and “Chill” on the other.  You can also purchase fabric glue to attach the letters to your shirt. This costume will be a great way to break the ice when it comes to meeting new people—simply ask them what their favorite show on Netflix is! Let’s be real, most of us could talk about our favorite shows on Netflix for hours, making this costume a win-win when it comes to starting a conversation.

Costume #3: Rosier the Riveter

One of the most widely known outfits for this specific occasion, Rosie the Riveter needs only four items to complete—all of which you could find in your closet!

Items you will need:

• Denim shirt
  • Jeans
  • Red bandana
  • Black combat boots

On Halloween Day, put on your denim shirt, step into your cutest jeans and combat boots, throw your hair up in a messy bun and wrap a red bandana around your head. Don’t forget to add a red lip and some eyeliner; without these items, the costume would not be complete. This outfit allows you to look cute while simultaneously keeping you warm as you walk from house to house. 

These are only a select few costumes, but there are so many more to be found and made! One of my personal favorite places to look for the perfect ideas for Halloween costumes is on Pinterest. This wonderful website is a great place to discover the best and most unique outfits for this holiday. Before you venture out to purchase a costume, make sure that you take a peek in your closet first—you never know what you may find there!

Photos:  3, 4, 5 

Claire is a student at the University of Iowa studying Business Management and Entrepreneurship with a minor in Spanish and a Certificate in Sustainability. She is a self-proclaimed hippie and loves cacti and cats. Claire is low key (and by low key she means high key) OBSESSED with Vampire Diaries and anything vintage - specifically if it's high-waisted. Her future goals include owning a sustainable company and backpacking across Ireland. Join Claire as she brings you on her journey through the cornfields of Iowa ;)
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.