Quotes You Need to Begin This School Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

As everything starts to fall into place with the new semester, you may feel stressed out or busy or insane. 

“Knowledge is power, but enthusiasm pulls the switch.”

I’ve dealt with this many times. I’m really good at getting excited about a project and getting through the first few steps before I get tired of it. I can research something all I want until I’m as knowledgeable as can be, but if I don’t have the enthusiasm to carry out the project, nothing is going to get done. The next time you’re getting ready for a project, make sure you have the enthusiasm to get all the way through it and not only halfway before you move on.

“Don’t set yourself on fire to keep others warm.”

It’s a challenge to put yourself before others sometimes. Whether it’s a friend that you always help out even though they’re never there for you or an S.O. who is taking advantage of you, you have the right to take care of yourself and know that you shouldn’t be the only person putting effort into your relationships. 

“See good in all things.”

It’s easy to be negative, especially as the stresses of the school year begin to get to you. But if you stop and look around for a moment, maybe you’ll notice a beautiful flower or how blue the sky is today or how you’ve been laughing so hard that your stomach hurts. Even bad days have some good in them. 

“Forever is composed of nows.”

This is a time of life that you’ll look back to years from now. You’ll reminisce with your friends, tell your kids some of your stories and think about the good times when life gets hard. But while you’re living in these moments, make sure you’re appreciating them now. Living in the moment will take your mind off worries about the future and allow you to create more memories. 

Photos: cover1, 2, 3, 4

Rachel Green is a senior Journalism and Mass Communication Major at the University of Iowa. She is also earning two minors in Sport and Recreation Management and Spanish and a certificate in Creative Writing. She serves at Her Campus Iowa's Senior Editor, and is a member of Iowa's editorial team. When she's not working on something for Her Campus, she can be found studying in the library, doodling in her sketchbooks or curling up with a cup of tea and a book.  
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.