QUAD: The newest app for group chats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

In a constantly changing digital world, it can sometimes be challenging to stay up-to-date on the latest gadgets, gizmos, and apps. New products are always hitting the market and it’s hard to tell which ones are reliable and which ones need to be ditched. One app that has recently hit digital shelves and is here to stay for good is QUAD.

QUAD is the newest group chat app built for college students that has hit colleges and universities everywhere. It was created by Appsurdity, a company that was founded in September, 2012, “to create mobile apps that unleash connections, communication, and creativity in a way that turns the status quo upside-down,” according to Matthew Murphy, one of the founders of the company.

But, wait a minute…isn’t there already something out there already like this? Facebook or maybe GroupMe?

The answer is no.

QUAD is different than any other group chat apps because of several key features. GroupMe groups max out at 50 members, while QUAD allows for up to 500 to join each Quad, or group, making it the perfect group chat app for fraternities, sororities, or groups of students in the same major or graduation year. You can have 500 people in a single conversation if you needed to. Don’t want to hear what your fellow 499 members have to say? Simply mute the Quad, so you don’t get bugged with notifications. Everyone knows how annoying it can be to get stuck in a group conversation on Facebook or through texting.

QUAD also allows users to make subgroups within the main Quad for smaller committees like marketing or executive panels, and more specific conversations between individuals. Plus, in a Quad you can plan events, receive RSVPs and chat around who’s doing what for your group’s specific events.

“We created Quad with a goal of becoming the best group communication product available,” said Murphy. “We’re living in a world where social media and messaging are converging and we’ve built Quad to be at the center of this movement.”

With QUAD, you can discover your campus and find groups and individuals with similar interests. You can make a group for almost anything…your roommate’s 21st bar crawl, your club’s fundraiser with subgroups for marketing and planning, a Quad for your family to join and stay in touch with one another…the possibilities are endless.

The best part of all, the app is free for both Android and iPhone.

“Groups who use QUAD feel empowered. We’ve had tons of groups tell us that before QUAD, their organization didn’t communicate well or at all. But after QUAD, they were more organized and more productive – all while having fun and getting to know each other better,” Murphy stated proudly about the app.

QUAD is built for college students. Whether you’re talking in small friend groups or large organizations, QUAD is the fresh way to chat. Download the app and see what you’re missing.

She is a senior at the University of Iowa majoring in Journalism with a minor in English. On top of being a campus correspondent for Her Campus, Adrian is also a brand ambassador for Quad, a communications intern for Pearson and the marketing director of Iowa's Ed On Campus chapter. When she isn't rereading Harry Potter for the hundredth time, Adrian is playing with her English Bulldog, Stella, or looking at pictures of French Bulldogs on Pinterest. She hopes to someday move into a bigger apartment that can accommodate many pets, write the next greatest novel that will take the world by storm, and be a contributing editor or EIC of a major publication or publishing house.