Prettiest Locations On Campus & In Iowa City During The Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Ah, fall. Time for sweaters and pumpkin patches and study sessions with friends. As both the season and this semester begin to get seriously underway, why not spend time at one of the following gorgeous locations on campus or in Iowa City?

1. The Pentacrest

Cliché but true. It’s a wonderful place to relax between classes, see the sunset or people-watch. During the fall, it’s even more gorgeous when the leaves begin to change color, making it the perfect spot to take Instagram-worthy photos! I especially love the ginkgo trees, even though they stink like nothing else, just because their fall foliage is nearly the same shade as Iowa gold.

2. Hickory Hill Park

Located just a short drive (or a slightly longer walk) away from downtown, Hickory Hill is a great location to go hiking with your friends. One of the trails connects to the Oakland Cemetery, so you could totally make a side trip to check out the Black Angel around Halloween and get super creeped out.

3. Along the Iowa River

Whether you’re crossing a bridge, camped out on the lawn behind the IMU or staring out the window of an east- or west-side dorm, the trees along the Iowa River are beautiful in the fall.

4. Art Building West

This place is so gorgeous in the fall that I could cry, honestly. The coppery exterior complements the autumn leaves at the same time the blocky, geometric design stands in sharp contrast to the more natural beauty of the pond, rocks and trees nearby.

5. The Ped Mall

Something about all those old red-brick buildings and fall leaves is just SO aesthetic. Plus, there are lots of benches around so it’s the perfect spot to sit and get some reading done. (And people-watch during breaks. Of course.)

6. College Green Park

Few places in Iowa City are as peaceful as the gazebo in this park during the fall! The trees are spectacular this time of year.

7. Wilson’s Orchard

Um, duh? Wilson’s is super cute and all the treats they sell there are to die for. Fruit is life, people. Grab your bestie and go pick some apples before they’re all gone!

8. T. Anne Cleary Walkway

Nothing makes me feel more like a Student-with-a-capital-S than heading to and from class via the walkway in the fall. I love kicking through clumps of fallen leaves while enjoying the morning sunshine, then returning home as the sun is setting through the trees and a chill is in the air.

9. Rocky Shore Drive

This short stretch of road lies along my favorite way to get to Coralville. Nestled next to the river as it is, you can almost forget that the hustle and bustle of the UI campus is not all that far away

What are your favorite places on campus and in Iowa City during the fall, collegiettes? What makes them beautiful to you?

Cover Photo | All other photos belong to the author

Elizabeth Chesak is a junior at the University of Iowa. She is triple-majoring in English & Creative Writing, Journalism, and Gender, Women’s, & Sexuality Studies to prepare for her hybrid dream job of picture book author/National Geographic photojournalist/activist. When not in class, studying, or sleeping, she can usually be found befriending the neighborhood cats.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.