Press Release 2/29 – Her Campus University of Iowa Begins New Business Approach

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

NEWS FROM HER CAMPUS MAGAZINE

Her Campus Magazine 
One Marina Park Drive, 14th Floor
Boston, MA 02210

Contact: Allie Johnson, UIOWA PR Director
Cell: 630.456.3409
Email: allison-m-johnson@uiowa.edu

For Immediate release
2/29/2012

Her Campus Magazine-University of Iowa begins new Business Approach

(IOWA CITY 2/29/2012) — Her Campus Magazine’s University of Iowa branch has decided to initiate a new business approach to help gain readership and reach the One Million Collegiettes®campaign goal.

The One Million Collegiettes® campaign is an initiative to get one million collegiettes to visit hercampus.com in the month of February. To help reach this goal, Her Campus contributing writers, editors, and campus correspondents were told to promote the campaign through social media tweets, statuses, and pictures.

Reaching this goal of one million viewers will push Her Campus into competition with major print-based publications such as Vanity Fair.

“I think it’s awesome a web-based magazine like Her Campus can compete with such substantial print-based magazines,” said Emily Oyster, Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus—University of Iowa branch. “It really shows the way journalism is moving towards technology at such a fast pace.”

In order to create this push and reach one million viewers, Oyster and contributing writers for the University of Iowa branch have made the decision to create media teams such as public relations, marketing, and social media. Each team will be in charge of a specific media aspect of Her Campus to help the magazine grow.

The marketing team is planning a fashion night out event to help promote Her Campus. The prospective date is sometime in late March and they are hoping to form a connection between the Her Campus Iowa branch and local Iowa City businesses in downtown by creating partnerships.

Social media will also be promoting Her Campus through YouTube videos, interesting news clips, and Hawk Alerts to help inform the magazine’s readers about current events. The team works hard to update Her Campus Iowa social media and share national and local articles by Her Campus writers.

The public relations team plans to get the word out to the public through news releases, fliers, and collaborating with local businesses to help advertise Her Campus together. 

Her Campus Magazine is a collegiette magazine for college women. With national content on Style, Beauty, Health, Love, Life, and Career, supplemented by campus-specific content produced by teams of students at 200+ colleges across the country.

Emily is a junior at the University of Iowa and is studying Journalism and Pre-Law with a minor in Health Communication. She has been a part of the Her Campus University of Iowa team since it was founded in 2010 and is a member of Ed on Campus. She has grown to love magazine writing and editing and if she somehow can't land her dream job (to be Carrie Bradshaw), she wouldn't mind settling for a job in the magazine industry. If nothing else, she hopes to attend law school somewhere in the Bay Area out West, her favorite place to be. Since the age of 15, Emily spent her summers in California, doing internships and falling in love with San Francisco. Some of her other interests include her 4-month-old longhaired wiener dog Henry, blogging, celebrity gossip, sushi, Private Practice, fro-yo, being a journalism nerd, and anything involving good conversation with good people. Although she's not exactly sure of her plans for the future, she knows journalism will somehow be the driving force in her career.