Prairie Lights: Read, Drink, Delight

Iowa City was designated as the world’s third city of literature by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in 2008, giving Edinburgh, Scotland, and Melbourne, Australia (the first two cities of literature) a run for their money. Home to the world-renowned Iowa Writer’s Workshop and the Iowa Summer Writing Festival, it’s no wonder Iowa City is celebrated for its rich literary culture. Fiction, non-fiction and poetry readings occur weekly around the city, but a favorite hot-spot for local writers is Prairie Lights, a quaint bookstore complete with an upstairs cafe and reading room. Check out the happenings here and grab a cold one from the cafe before the show.

I am in my senior year and last semester at the University of Iowa, majoring in journalism, minoring in English and pursuing a certificate in creative writing. My passions include writing (poetry, short fiction and anything my mind must expel onto the page), working out and spending time with my friends. I stand by the aphorism, "the pen is mightier than the sword" and hope to use my skills as a writer to positively impact as many people on this planet as I can.