Place Profile(s): Best overlooked study spots in Iowa City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

#1: Iowa Memorial Union
Alright, well this one you may have heard about, but until you try it you’re missing out.  Thanks to the University of Iowa Student Government, you now have around the clock access to study space.  The wide variety of chairs and tables, combined with the flexible hours, make this the perfect spot to catch up on coursework.

#2: Any bar during the day
So obviously many of you have checked out Sports Column or Brother’s during the evening hours, but have you ever considered stopping by during the day?  These are the perfect spots to snag a booth and some good food in between classes.  You won’t have a hard time getting a table and can remain undistracted without the crowds.

#3: Any library but the Main Library
There are five libraries aside from the Main Lib all over campus.  These may lack some of the services that the main one does (i.e. large ITCs and food), but they are usually filled with empty tables and quiet.  You should check out their locations here, to see if one is closer to your apartment or dorm.  You could possibly save yourself time, stress and walking distance.

#4: Second floor of the Old Capitol Mall
Anyone enjoy settling down to read on a nice cushioned couch instead of a hard wood chair?  Then you should definitely take a peek on the upper floor of the Old Capitol Mall.  It is usually pretty quiet and has easy access to food and extra supplies, should you need them.  This little discovered space is ideal for students looking to read in an unnoticed place in the heart of campus.

#5: Iowa City Public Library
The ICPL goes unnoticed by way too many students.  Students and residents have access to bounds of reading material, making any kind of study session simple.  They even have quiet study rooms available for individual use, in case you’re in need of total isolation.  Many Hawkeyes don’t realize that the city provides just as many perks at the UI, if you’re willing to seek them out. 

Photo credit: Richard Roche, Flickr

Brynne Schweigel is a senior studying Journalism and Mass Communication as well as Political Science at the University of Iowa. She currently contributes fashion pieces to the University of Iowa Her Campus branch's blog. She writes weekly for the University of Iowa's Center for Global and Regional Environmental Research's blog, the Iowa Environmental Focus, and had pieces published in The Daily Iowan. She spent the Spring 2010 semester interning at the state capitol in Des Moines. In her spare time, Brynne enjoys shopping, reading, running, listening to music and playing with her puppy, Bonnie.  She will graduate in December 2011 and hopes to move somewhere that never has snow.
Nicole Lumbreras is a junior at University of Iowa, class of 2012, studying Journalism and Sociology. Born and raised in the suburbs of Chicago, Nicole loves to explore new restaurants, see live music and attend sporting events. Nicole loves to travel, dance, write in her blog and takes pleasure in the art of photography. Nicole loves to spend time with her friends and family, and when time allows she will get her fill of Bad Girls Club, Glee, So You Think You Can Dance, and Grey's Anatomy. Nicole recently got foot surgery and rediscovered running; her goal is to run a half marathon before she is 25. After college she plans to move into the city (Chicago) with a American bulldog, attend graduate school at night and hopefully write for Chicago Magazine or another fun and upcoming project.