This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Dear University of Iowa,     

To begin with, I didn’t think that my life would change so much in the year that I accepted my admission to you. Change is good, so for that I am thankful. You have exceeded my expectations and continue to each day that I am here. However, there is always room for growth and when I grow, you will grow too. I am one small portion of your vast system, just like everyone that surrounds me daily, but together we are one. Without you, I would be lost in a world of education with nowhere to turn, and without me, you wouldn’t be shaping the future generations.

When I visited your campus, I was not blown away. I was not in awe or in disbelief of the amazing opportunities. I was not set on spending the next year of my education here, and sometimes I’m still not. For a while, I didn’t think I was making the right decision. I didn’t understand the chance I was giving myself, until now. Your classes make me feel like I never left my calm hometown, but the energy that you produce reminds me that I am far from the place I graduated. You have opened my eyes to a place that is both home and an adventure at the same time. I have learned my way through your busy streets, but am still surprised by the constant activity that makes you so welcoming.

Thank you for being the first coeducational school in the states, without that change, I may never have had the chance to be here. There’s not a day that goes by that I don’t appreciate the fact that you were so open for advancement that you fought to claim that title.

You have many traditions that continually amaze me, beginning with the first week that I spent on campus as a freshman. The Wave is a spring of hope to all of the kids that sit on the top floor of the children’s hospital and a strong connection between the members that participate. I assure you, there’s not a single person in that stadium that would want things any other way, for that, I glad I chose to be here. You are constantly finding a new way to celebrate life and bring joy to the things that can’t be controlled. 

While I’ve only been here for a few months, you have turned me into a stronger version of myself. You have shown me my strengths and given me the tools that are necessary to continue to work on them. You have welcomed me with open arms and an inviting hug. With encouraging my passions, you have introduced me to quite the group of people. The people that push me to shine as bright as the sun and work as harder than I know how. I couldn’t take that for granted for a single day, because they continue to help me flourish in your community.

Some days I’m still not sure I made the right decision, until I am reminded that without you, I would not have started the next chapter of my life in such a warm environment. I may not spend the next three years in your building, walkways and bridges, but for now, this is where I am and this is where I’m choosing to be. I can’t wait to see where you take me.

Sincerely,

A Thankful Student

Sydney is currently a Freshman at the University of Iowa, double-majoring in Journalism and Psychology.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.