An Open Letter to the Person that Proved Me Wrong

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

To the person that proved me wrong:

Thank you.

It may surprise you that I’m thanking you for pointing out just how wrong I was, but honestly, I’m grateful for it and here’s why. 

I have always been open and honest about my feelings. I have always been the person to preach how important self-love is and give advice to everyone even though I knew I wasn’t taking my advice to heart. Some may say I was a hypocrite and I agree. I was. You called me out on that.

Thank you.

I spent a long, long time building up my walls while I helped everyone else tear down theirs. You were one of the very few people in this world that saw that and the only person that cared enough to do something about it.

Thank you. 

I don’t know how you did it, but you broke the walls that I thought were too strong to ever come down and you made sure to never let me build them again. You found the problem and pulled it out by the root, ensuring it wouldn’t come back anytime soon. 

Molly Peach-Girls Laughing At Night
Molly Peach / Her Campus

Before you, I accepted the fact that I would have to settle for certain things in life. I accepted that I wasn’t ever going to be a first choice until I became yours. I became okay with the idea that I wasn’t pretty enough, smart enough, funny enough, or just likable enough for anyone to want to keep me around. I may have always preached to my friends when they were crying about boys that broke their hearts that the right one will come when it is least expected, but I never believed my own words until you came into my life out of absolutely nowhere. 

Just to be clear, this isn’t a sappy love letter that we’ll cringe at later if things go wrong. This is a thank you for changing my life regardless of what the future may hold. This is me acknowledging that I am a changed person because of you. You would think all of my own advice would have helped me see my beauty, intelligence, and worth, but it took you to see that. 

I was wrong when I let guys walk all over me because I thought that’s what I was worth. I was wrong when I got upset when I looked in the mirror. I was wrong when I beat myself up for not being as smart as some other girls. I was wrong for ever thinking I wasn’t enough for myself or anyone. I was wrong for not loving myself the way you have shown me to sooner.

Sunset Beach Girl Ocean Water Sky Nature Peaceful
Charlotte Reader / Her Campus

This is a thank you for proving me wrong.

Thank you for taking the time to show me how it feels to be wanted, appreciated, and loved for just being unapologetically me. 

Thank you for showing me how I should be treated.

Thank you for showing me how to love myself. 

Thank you for proving me to be completely and utterly wrong.

Sincerely,

Me

Zoey is a third-year student studying English and Creative Writing and Journalism and Mass Communications at the University of Iowa. When she is not running social media for patchwork lit mag or editing Her Campus Iowa articles, you can often find her curled up with a glass of wine watching cheesy reality television.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.