courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

An Open Letter to Mom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

This semester I have taken on a higher workload and have found myself struggling to keep up. To keep myself from drowning under all of the school work, I try to find one thing to keep me going and remind me of how thankful I am. That one thing always circles back around to my mom. She is the person that keeps me humble, and it would take far too long to thank her for everything, but let’s give it a shot.

Mom,

Thank you. You are my drive, inspiration, teacher and my primary source of encouragement. You do so much that it would be impossible to thank you for every little thing, but I always try.

Thank you for showing me what unconditional love is.

Over the last nineteen years, you have loved me through all of the highs and lows. You held my hand and listened to all of my teenage rants. You loved me when I screamed and put up a fight. You even loved me enough to show me tough-love when I needed it. While I may not have appreciated it at the moment, it has taught me so much, and I cannot thank you enough.

Thank you for teaching me hard work and dedication.

I would not have my work ethic and drive without your influence. You may not have known you were teaching me these things, but I observed how hard you worked to provide for our family. I witnessed your drive and dedication to accomplish your goals. I couldn’t be more thankful to have a role model like you to show me these traits.

Thank you for supporting me and always pushing me to do my best.

I have always been a person with big dreams. My dreams and aspirations have always changed, but what never changed was your support and encouragement. When others didn’t believe in me, you always did. I love you for that.

Thank you for everything you have sacrificed.

When times got tough for our family, and we felt like there was no light at the end of the tunnel, you made sacrifices to create that light. You worked long and hard and put aside your well-being to provide for our family the best you could. Words cannot explain how grateful we all are for that.

Thank you for all the advice.

When I need advice and someone to tell me “how it is,” you are always there. Even when I needed advice about the smallest and insignificant things, you would listen and tell me exactly what I needed to hear. Nothing brings me more comfort than knowing that I can always come to you for advice, no matter the situation.

Thank you for being my inspiration.

You may not see it, but the smallest things you do serve as my inspiration. When you were sick, and I saw you fight to get better, I became inspired to fight just like you. When you decided to continue your education, I became inspired to work towards the future I want. I can only dream of becoming half as courageous, smart, dedicated and hardworking as you.

Thank you for being you.

I don’t want to just thank you for what you do. I want to thank you for being unapologetically you. Because of you, I know that it is perfectly okay to be myself. You showed me it’s okay to fail and make mistakes. It’s the little things about yourself and the tiniest things that you do that I love about you. 

I love you, Mom!

Image Credits: Image 1GIF 1

Zoey is a third-year student studying English and Creative Writing and Journalism and Mass Communications at the University of Iowa. When she is not running social media for patchwork lit mag or editing Her Campus Iowa articles, you can often find her curled up with a glass of wine watching cheesy reality television.