Mother’s Day on a College Girl’s Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

We love our moms. They cooked for us, they cleaned up after us, and (most importantly) they dealt with us in our most hormonal, troublesome middle and high schools years. Mother’s Day is May 8th (This Sunday, friends!) so what better way to show your mom you care than the perfect gift.

Unfortunately, lets face it…we’re in college, people! The little money left in our bank accounts usually goes straight toward the necessities for survival in college: food and beer. So this Mother’s Day, get your mom something she’ll love without breaking the bank, with a little HerCampus help.

1. A Picture Frame. Mom’s love the homemade and sentimental stuff, so find a cute picture of the two of you, print it out high quality at CVS in the Old Capital Mall and grab a picture frame you think she’d like (and mom’s love ANYTHING we pick out). If you are creative, buy a plain frame and use paint to personalize the frame. More ideas along these lines include a family photo album, a collage, or a scrapbook.
  2. Hawkeye Gear. Our Mommas are proud of their daughter’s away at school, so what better way to reward them on Mother’s Day than some Hawkeye gear of their own! They can show off where their daughter goes to school, and they’ll be thinking of you every time they put it on. Check out UniversiTees or the University Book Store in the Old Capital Mall, or Iowa Book, or The Den in downtown Iowa City for some ideas.
  3. Send her flowers. This may seem cliché, but your mom’s face will surely light up when she gets flowers delivered to her door from her favorite college girl. 1-800-Flowers delivers flowers for a decent price, and at FTD.com, you can get beautiful bouquets starting at just $20.
  4. When you get home, take her out to eat. Newsflash: Mom’s love to spend time with their college-aged kids! When you get home, take her to lunch, dinner, or breakfast on you. She’ll love the one-on-one time to catch up with you, and the delicious food will be a plus! Another idea? Lunch and a matinee movie. Grad a quick lunch near the theater, and then let her pick the movie.
  5. Her favorite book. Our mom’s might not have a lot of free time with all of the stuff they do for us, but getting her a good book is a great way to give her an excuse to relax for a bit! Find out her favorite author or series, and head on over to Barnes and Noble or another bookstore to pick it up. Not sure what book she’d like? Ask your friends for some of their favorite books, or just ask the staff at the bookstore what’s popular right now. Emily Giffin, author of Something Borrowed, is an author I highly recommend! If your mom has a hobby like gardening or cooking, get her a book related to those topics.
  6. Bake for her! Seriously, who doesn’t love fresh baked cookies or brownies? Find out your mom’s favorite sweet treat, and spend an afternoon baking for her.  There is a super cute HerCampus Ohio article on “Cake Pops” if you want to try something new. If you are more Top Chef–like than I am, consider cooking a whole meal for her. Now that most of us are living on our own, we can really appreciate the time and effort it takes for a good, home-cooked meal! Look for recipes on website like Food.com or All Recipes and find something easy that your mom would enjoy. This Chicago Tribune article also features some Mother’s Day recipes.

Lastly, don’t forget a Mother’s Day card that tells her how much you love and appreciate her. Whether it’s homemade or store bought, she’ll appreciate the thoughtfulness and will always have it to remind her what a great daughter you are.
Mother’s day is less than a week away, so good luck! Got any more tips for Mother’s Day gifts on a budget? Leave them in the comments section below!

Nicole Lumbreras is a junior at University of Iowa, class of 2012, studying Journalism and Sociology. Born and raised in the suburbs of Chicago, Nicole loves to explore new restaurants, see live music and attend sporting events. Nicole loves to travel, dance, write in her blog and takes pleasure in the art of photography. Nicole loves to spend time with her friends and family, and when time allows she will get her fill of Bad Girls Club, Glee, So You Think You Can Dance, and Grey's Anatomy. Nicole recently got foot surgery and rediscovered running; her goal is to run a half marathon before she is 25. After college she plans to move into the city (Chicago) with a American bulldog, attend graduate school at night and hopefully write for Chicago Magazine or another fun and upcoming project.