Modern Love: Life After the Break-Up, Part 2 – The Next Step

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Now some time has passed since your break-up; you have thought about it, talked about it and cried about it, but you are finally ready to take that next step. Now this can be trickery in deciding where you want to go from here. You might have had the opportunity to date someone else, rekindle your previous relationship, or a bit of both. No matter what there is a way to approach the situation.

New on the Dating Scene
Just emerging from a break-up, you have to be careful with how you enter the dating scene. Firstly try not to carry animosity or expectations from your old relationship. Sometime we compare what our “ex” did. That is HUGE error. Everyone is different and all thought what your old boyfriend did was fabulous; you are not giving the new person a chance. No matter where your next step maybe you have to remain open to possibilities.
Just as you don’t want to expect the same things your ex did, you also don’t want bring your emotional baggage along the way. Do not rant about how much you hate boys and how terrible they are. One, we all know you do not really hate them. Two, all guys are not the same everyone has their character flaws, ladies you are included. We hate to hear guys criticize girls as whole, so we do not need to do that either.

Love Relapse
Alright, your ex is back. “Re-dating” your boyfriend is almost like starting over, but better. It is new because you do not know what to expect at first, but your familiar with him already and can pass up the “getting to know you” part of dating. Despite, you still have to approach this situation carefully. You first have to be sure that you are ready to move past the devastation of the break-up and you both can reach a consensus about the past in order to move forward. Just as if you were starting over with someone else you cannot carry the old things into this new relationship with you old boyfriend.

Be patient with the evolvement of you two together post break-up. Sometime you might see glints of previous errors, but work them out things do not change overnight. As long as you all are dedicated to improvement it will all work out.

Look forward to more up-and-coming articles from our brand new column, Modern Love!

Full time English/Studio Arts major, Full-time visionary. Native Chicagoan and a true city girl. In love with love and a frequent contributing writer for the HC-UIowa Modern Love column(however not frequent enough). Current endeavor?  Proud Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UIowa, I am progressively expanding the chapter's reach through creative, fun, and informative content with a unique publication voice. I also have published content for diffrent on-line and print media. I love everything HC, but when I am not writing, editing, or publishing I am trying out the latest health trends in fitness and food, hanging out with friends, or fueling a bad habit of on-line shopping. Future endeavor? Editor-in Chief of a magazine something like Glamour, Cosmo, or Self. Want to keep up with me? Follow me on Twitter @EllandreaM
Emily is a junior at the University of Iowa and is studying Journalism and Pre-Law with a minor in Health Communication. She has been a part of the Her Campus University of Iowa team since it was founded in 2010 and is a member of Ed on Campus. She has grown to love magazine writing and editing and if she somehow can't land her dream job (to be Carrie Bradshaw), she wouldn't mind settling for a job in the magazine industry. If nothing else, she hopes to attend law school somewhere in the Bay Area out West, her favorite place to be. Since the age of 15, Emily spent her summers in California, doing internships and falling in love with San Francisco. Some of her other interests include her 4-month-old longhaired wiener dog Henry, blogging, celebrity gossip, sushi, Private Practice, fro-yo, being a journalism nerd, and anything involving good conversation with good people. Although she's not exactly sure of her plans for the future, she knows journalism will somehow be the driving force in her career.