This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

My best friends from high school are some of the best friends that I have ever had. Although our paths had crossed several times throughout high school, it took several failed friendships and some serious heartbreak until everything came into place and we became friends during our senior year. I had only one short year with them by my side, and I wish I could’ve had more time with them before we all went our separate ways for college. It took me a while to come to terms with it, and I finally understood that one year together in excahnge for a lifetime of a strong frienship was worth it. Before we left for college, I thought that we would Skype every week and text non-stop, and during the first few weeks we did a pretty good job of staying in touch.

But as the weeks went by, and we became more settled in our new lives, we became distracted and talked less and less. I still found that every new and exciting thing I experienced I wanted to share with them, and I loved hearing all the fun things that were happening to them as well. From football games to sorority recruitment and all the things that came and went in between, everything was made better when the knew about it. They rejoiced with me and cried with me, and I did the same with them. When the both got boyfriends, I was overjoyed. When they took amazing trips to the Grand Canyon or just explored beautiful placed around campus, I wanted to see pictures and year all about it. But while I was excited to tell them about my life at Iowa, I wished that they were here with me instead of at Winona State and University of California Berkley. Talking to them not only made me sad, but it made me miss the life I had left behind at home. So I thought talking to them less would make things a little better. Of course I soon realized that that was a stupid idea and knew that I just had to push through the sadness because staying friends with them was ultimately the most important thing.

We’re in our second year of our new college lives now, and even though we talk less I still feel just as close to them. We are all busy with our own journeys, but it’s nice to know that they’ll always be a part of mine. The Skype calls may be very few and far between, but my heart fills with joy when I see their smiling faces or get random texts here and there. Catching up with them is always full of great stories, and even though I don’t always know when I’ll get to talk to them, when I do it’s worth all of the waiting. I love them with all of my heart, and I am so happy that I will always have them. College isn’t just for finding your future bridesmaids; it’s for staying in touch with the ones that you already knew you had.

LinsiAn Loadman-Copeland, a sophomore here at the University of Iowa, has had a similar experience staying in touch with her best friend. LinsiAn is originally from Colorado and made the long haul move to the Midwest, while her best friend went to college in Wyoming. She says that “although we no longer text every day, we still know we’re always there for each other. After all, we still are only a phone call away.” They have found FaceTime to be a helpful way to stay in touch, and they encourage all long distance friends to make those lengthy calls every once in a while to keep the friendship alive.

Kathryn Ruff, another sophomore at the University of Iowa, had to deal with her best friend since childhood going to college in a different state. She said that “she didn’t have her next door neighbor right there anymore, instead she was four states away. But we were able to make it work through random texts, S.O.S FaceTime calls, and a few visits here and there.” Her advice to all best friends is to “put in the effort if the friendship is important. If you can’t live without that person, let them know it. Make sure they know how much you care, how much they mean to you, and how much you want them to stay in your life.”

So if reading this has made you think of anyone in particular, shoot them a text, give them a call, or plan a FaceTime date. We all get busy with our lives, but remember that these people knew and loved you during high school, arguably one of the most awkward and difficult times in your life, and if for some reason they still like you, make sure they know how much you appreciate them. 

When I'm not writing for University of Iowa's Her Campus, you can find me eating Reese's while watching the Mindy Project and trying my hardest to become Tina Fey.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.