Meet Rachel Zuckerman, A Girl With a Bubbly Personality Who Loves Detroit!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Meet Rachel Zuckerman, a girl with a big heart for Iowa and big dreams for Detroit!

Rachel is a junior Political Science and Journalism major at the University of Iowa. She absolutely loves everything about the campus from her sorority, Zeta Tau Alpha, to her job as a resident assistant at Peterson. Many of you have probably seen Rachel around campus since she is involved in many different student organizations and activities. One activity that Rachel is extremely passionate about, and for good reason, is the Hawkeye Service Team. This team travels to many different cities throughout the country performing volunteer activities and also experiencing many new and exciting adventures. Rachel is particularly devoted to the service trip in Detroit, since that is where she is from.

What are some of the aspects that you enjoy and could live without through being an RA?

I really enjoy working with and meeting so many new people. My residents are all awesome and become like family to me. The lows would be that when I come home I come home to work also, this is challenging sometimes after you’ve had a stressful day or have a big test to study for, but I always put my residents first.

Besides being involved in many different student organizations and being a resident advisor, what are some other things that you enjoy in your free time?

Hahaha, if I have free time I’d really enjoy sleeping. But, journaling is a passion of mine. I’ve done it for many years and I feel it is a big stress reliever. I can vent in journaling or write about awesome experiences I’ve had. It’s a very good way to express yourself.

What are some tips you have for people that would like to start journaling?

I think first and foremost, don’t be afraid to do it at night. At night is a good time to let the stress from the day go and get all your reflections down about what you’ve seen and thought throughout the day. I also think it is a good idea to just get whatever you’re thinking down on paper and worry about the editing later. The raw material you are feeling or experiencing is so much better without worrying about the entire editing first.

As a resident assistant and avid writer, what are some tips you have for students on campus?

One of my biggest tips for anyone is to write thank you notes. I know that sounds cheesy and all, but it is actually very rewarding and makes people feel great when they receive one from you. I love writing thank you notes and carry some in my bag with me at all times. I have a philosophy that if that person is really great, why don’t you tell them?!

With all your activities on campus, is their one in particular you are looking forward to?

Our Hawkeye service trip is coming up soon, and I can’t express enough how excited I am for it. I will be traveling to my hometown of Detroit. Detroit is very special to me for being my hometown and also for all the major innovations that it has undergone recently. Detroit has had a bad reputation for a very long time, but with the major renovations that the city has undergone, we are all hoping to see some major improvements in the near future.

What are some experiences that you have to look forward to on the service trip?

The trip is a combination of performing service activities and getting to know the community. Some of the events we have done in the past are planting gardens, reading books to children, volunteering at a food bank, and experiencing cultural events unique to Detroit. Overall, it is a very rewarding experience that introduces students to a side of Detroit that most have not seen before.

With so many different aspects of Detroit, what would you consider your favorite?

The people! I have enjoyed meeting the people of Detroit so much. They are all passionate, cultured and hard working, which makes the service trip so worth it.

Thank you so much for meeting with me, and good luck on your service trip!

Currently I am a sophomore at the Universtiy of Iowa majoring in Elementary Education. I love writing, especially about how wonderful our campus is! 
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.