Meet Madison Offenburger, a Girl with Big Dreams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Major/Certificate: Journalism and Mass Communications with a certificate in Entrepreneurial Management 

Hometown: Chariton, Iowa (Not, CHAR-it-on!)

Hobbies: Reading, writing articles, OBSESSIVELY watching “Harry Potter” and keeping up with current events.

Favorite Food: Dark chocolate (I mean, YUM!)

Favorite Store: I’d have to go with a three-way tie between American Eagle, Fossil and Aldi (Seriously, go get their cookie dough ice cream. You will not regret this decision. Plus, it’s cheap, which is music to any college student’s ears!)

What are your essentials for college?

My yellow scarf, which I wear weekly (And practically every day in the winter), a ring that my mom and I both have, a planner, a “Harry Potter” book (There’s always one in my bag! I’m #obsessed.), and I can’t live without my daily cup of tea.

What is your favorite outfit at the moment?

Simplicity is key, so my favorite outfit at the moment is an oversized flannel, a pair of jeans, my vans and lots of bracelets!

If you weren’t at school right now, what would you be doing?

I would probably be a journalist/reporter in a big city like New York or Chicago. I have always wanted to travel to Thailand, so I would on the weekends to soak up the sun and explore the country! I would also be reading at least one book a week! (Most likely “Harry Potter,” but I might switch it up every now and then ;) )

What’s your dream in life?

To be successful in my career and to impact people with my work. I would also like to help others, not only through news related topics, but also physically help them. One of my biggest dreams in life is to go on a mission trip and help individuals of different countries recieve their essential needs like water, food, an education, etc

For students who are planning to switch their major, like you recently did, what is your biggest piece of advice?

If you’re wanting to change your major, make sure that you are choosing something that you thoroughly enjoy because you’ll be stuck with for the rest of your life — unless you decide to change it again. (I know, I sound like your parents right now, but it is definitely something that you need to keep in mind as you are going through this process!) Also, if someone disagrees with your choice, just push their opinions aside, because:

#1. They are not doing your career, YOU ARE!

#2. It is something that you enjoy, and if you enjoy it, then do not worry about other people’s opinions! I know I didn’t.

#3. YOLO…Even though that is not a thing anymore, it is still true! You only live once, so do what you love doing!

Claire is a student at the University of Iowa studying Business Management and Entrepreneurship with a minor in Spanish and a Certificate in Sustainability. She is a self-proclaimed hippie and loves cacti and cats. Claire is low key (and by low key she means high key) OBSESSED with Vampire Diaries and anything vintage - specifically if it's high-waisted. Her future goals include owning a sustainable company and backpacking across Ireland. Join Claire as she brings you on her journey through the cornfields of Iowa ;)
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.