Meet Kierra Lewis, A Powerful Force To Be Reckoned With

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

I met Kierra in a college transition group that the University of Iowa offered to us our freshman year. We didn’t become friends until our second semester but have been inseparable ever since. No, really, we’re so close we are in the same student organization, and to top it off we live together. If someone would have told me that in three years that I would have met one of the most real individuals on campus and a great friend that I would have for a lifetime I wouldn’t believe them. Kierra has been with me through thick and thin, and I believe that says a lot about a person when you’re in college. Read more about her below! 

Major: Journalism & Mass Communication with a minor in American Studies

Hometown: West Des Moines, Iowa 

What are you involved in on campus?

At Iowa, I stay lowkey because that is just the individual that I am, but when I am active on campus I put on events through the well-known student organization, Campus Activities Board (CAB). When I am not helping with events, I run the Newsletter with the Public Relations Committee that I am a part of through CAB.

Why did you choose to attend Iowa?

My parents both went to Iowa, so I felt it was only right that I carry on the Hawkeye tradition.

Why did you choose Journalism Mass Communication?

At first, I was an Athletic Training major, but once I got here I knew math and anatomy were not the life for me. I saw myself doing bigger things outside of a locker room, and getting a major in JMC was the path for me.

JMC is such a broad category of study; what do you see yourself doing with this major?

I am not sure yet  It’s a broad major so that means I could go anywhere with my degree which is what I like about it. I see myself working anywhere that allows me to fully put my sense of passion into my work; I am not one to take on a job I don’t even believe in.

What do you feel you are most passionate about in general?

Family, music and cereal. Especially, music. What a lot of people don’t know about me is that if I could, I would sit in a studio to produce and listen to music.

What music genre is your favorite? And why?

That is a hard decision. I would have to say R&B and Hip Hop because that is what my parents raised me on.

What do you like to do on your free time?

I like to watch A Different World on Netflix and The Cosby Show.​

What’re your top two go-to drinks at Starbucks?

Iced Passion Fruit Tea Lemonade Sweetened and Vanilla Chai Tea Hot, Iced or in a Frappuccino

What a lot of people don’t know about you is that you love cereal. On average, how many bowls do you have a day?

It depends on if I have a lot of milk and cereal; if so I’ll have two or three. When I’m low on a product I’ll have one but then it also depends on if I put it in a cup. I am serious when it comes to my cereal.

What are some words of advice that someone has given you that has stuck ever since?

Wake up, pray and slay every day. I didn’t hear that from anyone; it was a meme that I saw but that is good advice.

I am Emon Collazo a Junior here at the Univeristy of Iowa studying Health and Human Physiology with a Health Promotion tract. I would like to say that I am always studying but honestly I am probably doing my makeup.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.