Meet Beautiful Soul Leanna Jo Mullen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Leanna Jo Mullen is one of those people you meet that you know you’ll never forget. Her joy is constant, and I can’t tell you how much it has meant to be loved by her since I met her through the SALT Company during my freshman year here at the University of Iowa. Many a coffee date, movie night and rant about some boy or other has been shared between us, each one of them meaningful. I can only hope that others will see exactly what there is to love about dear Lee.

Name: Leanna Jo Mullen

Age: 22

Year in School: Senior (still feels weird to say even though there are only 5 weeks of school left!)

Major: Dance, certificate in arts entrepreneurship

What are you involved in on campus? 

The SALT Company (where I met this lovely writer), Student Philanthropy Group, dance performances through the dance department, and I teach for the UI Youth Ballet

What have you learned from your leadership position in SALT? 

Wow, I can’t even tell you how radically being a SALT student leader has changed my life and heart. A big thing is that being a SALT leader has just really pushed me spiritually; it has given me a really cool experience to be an active member of a church, it has helped me to take responsibility for my faith and my relationship with God, and it has given me a really cool outlet where I can encourage and pour into and love on my fellow sisters in Christ. 

What do you like most about the University of Iowa? 

The friends that Iowa has given me are truly irreplaceable. I can’t even believe how lucky I am to have the beautiful friendships that were so graciously put in my life. Another reason is that Iowa has given me awesome opportunities and has shown me paths I could take in the future based on my passions and talents, which is super sweet.

What made you choose dance as your major?

I actually initially came to UI specifically for the dance program. I knew that I had a love for dance, and I wanted to pursue it more seriously and continue to grow in the technique, skill and understanding of the practice.

What are you most passionate about? 

Jesus! In my three years at Iowa alone I have grown to know and love more and more this beautiful, beautiful Savior. I am so passionate about the fact that God loved me first and gave me such an astounding gift through the sacrifice of Jesus. After Jesus, I’m so passionate about my family and friends and loving them the best that I can. Also dancing (ballet, mainly) is pretty fun.

What is your go-to coffee order? 

A white chocolate mocha with half the pumps caramel, with skim milk and no whip

What is your go-to song to blast in the car? 

Oh my gosh this is such a hard question! It so depends, but currently probably “Don’t Let Me Go,” by Allman Brown, or maybe “The Girl,” by City and Color (just because my twin, Liz, loves it so much!).

What is your favorite book? 

Oh gosh also so hard to answer, but I’ll go with Little Women. The Secret Life of Bees, by Sue Monk Kidd is also up there.

What is your favorite season and why?

Goodness I did not anticipate the difficulty of these questions! But I think I’ll say fall. Like early fall, before it gets too cold and all the leaves have fallen, but more just when it’s started to cool down a little, and the leaves have all changed color, and the school year has just started, and energy is still high, and it’s still staying light out fairly late.

What are three words you would use to describe yourself?

Loyal, genuine and caring

Paige Netzel is a senior at the University of Iowa, studying English and Creative Writing with a Cinema minor. Coffee, creating playlists, and gratitude are essential to keeping her going. Check her out on Twitter for some hecka funny tweets or on Spotify for those dope playlists.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.