Meet Ally Gibson, Expert Braider & Big Dreamer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

I met Ally Gibson during the first week of my freshman year of college, and I am fortunate enough to call her one of my best friends! She is an amazing, supportive friend and willing to help anybody when they need it. She is a great listener, and I cherish her words of wisdom. Ally is a very kind-hearted and caring person, and she continuously inspires me with her ambition and drive. She has big dreams for her future, and I know she is going to rock it!

Major: Pre-Business major and Spanish minor with a certificate in Entrepreneurial Management

Hometown: Originally from Ann Arbor, MI, but moved to Dubuque, IA in 2012

Favorite hobby: Styling/braiding hair and making nail designs

When did you first discover your passion for hair?

My love for styling hair began when I started watching hair tutorials on YouTube in sixth grade. From that moment on, I was relentless about practicing hair styles. I would sit on my bathroom sink for hours on end practicing my craft. I started practicing the styles on myself first, and then I transitioned to braiding and styling my two younger sisters’ hair as well.

Which hairstyle was the most challenging for you?

The French Braid was the most difficult for me to do on myself, but it taught me that practice makes perfect.

How did you begin posting photos of your hairstyles?

I created an Instagram account to upload photos of hairstyles I did. My account was private at first to share photos with my sisters and people I knew personally, but I decided to change it to public over time. After I changed my account to public, I accumulated a following of about 25,000 people. Shortly before I began college, I decided to delete my account to dedicate all of my time and attention to my studies, but I plan to hopefully start up another account again once I get adjusted to college life.

Did other widely followed hair accounts begin to take notice of your account?

They did! The account @instibraid found one of my hairstyles and reposted it on their page, which had around a million followers. Good Morning America did a feature on the @instibraid account in July 2014, and they actually showed one of my photos reposted by the account during the segment!

What does styling hair mean to you?

Styling hair helped boost my confidence throughout middle school, and it made me feel great whenever somebody at school would compliment me on my hair. I moved from Ann Arbor, MI to Dubuque, IA in 2012 when I was a freshman in high school, and that transition was difficult for me because I didn’t know anybody and I had low self-esteem. I decided to turn to hair during that time because it was one thing I felt good about, and it made my transition to high school and a different school much smoother.

What are your aspirations for the future?

After I graduate from the University of Iowa, I plan to study Cosmetology at Capri College in Dubuque. I would love to use my education to give me the knowledge and expertise to start and own a salon someday in a big city! I also think that being a celebrity hairstylist in the future would be an amazing experience! I want to make other people look and feel their best, and I want to give them that same confidence boost that I had!

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.