The Meaning Behind Lady Gaga’s New Album ‘Joanne’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

With the release of her most recent single, Perfect Illusion, fans have been eagerly awaiting the announcement of Gaga’s next album. Lady Gaga recently did a phone interview with Zane Lowe on Beats 1 where she released critical information about it. The cover is a simple, elegant side profile of Lady Gaga in subdued pink tones and gold hoops with the title running right above her. But the obvious question is: Who is Joanne, and why did Lady Gaga name an album after her? 

Joanne was Lady Gaga’s father’s sister who succumbed to Lupus at the young age of 19. In the interview, Gaga references the emotional scars and pain felt by her father throughout his life embedding itself within her newest lyrics. The entire album contains traces of Gaga’s family, including handwriting from her late aunt on the back cover. She said there’s also a lot of rage in her songs, stemming from betrayals of those closest to her (please, God, not Taylor Kinney, still rooting for you two). She credits the past with helping her create the 11 song album, out on October 21st. 

Collaborating with her on the album are two musicians, Father John Misty and Josh Homme. Gaga also said in her interview with Beats 1 that there is a sitar and Bollywood reference in one of the songs. Her music video for Perfect Illusion is also expected out soon. 

Get excited, little monsters. Lady Gaga is back (and hopefully on AHS, too).

Both Images 

University of Iowa sophomore majoring in Journalism and Engaged Social Innovation. Member of Alpha Chi Omega sorority. Hospitality newbie. Reader, writer, and wanderluster. At least that's what I want my business card to say.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.