This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

If you see me in class or around campus every day, I don’t have a drop of makeup on and I probably look like your local friendly sewer rat. But I low-key have an affinity for all things makeup related. I will spend hours looking at YouTube videos, and I try to read about the latest trends so when I do decide to get glammed up – I do it right. So here are some trends and products that I am living for right now. 

Glitter eyeshadow & mascara 

I used to be the girl, up until very recently, that never went out at night without my winged eyeliner. Make no mistake, I still love the way my Kat-Von-D tattoo liner makes my eyes look, but sometimes I just do not have the effort for it. So I have been obsessed with using my Anastasia palette to create subtle glitter notes on my eyes. I usually dip into the pink or orange, put it all across my lid and throw on my Better Than Sex mascara for a full look. 

The look says “Oh this? I just threw it on real quick but I really do look like that bitch.”

What I Use

Better Than Sex Mascara: This is the only mascara that can be named this because it totally lives up to the hype. It makes my baby eyelashes look so full and it only needs a few swipes to go on well! 

Fall Tones and a Bold Lip 

This look will probably always stand the test of time for me. If I want to look like I put in a lot of effort when I really didn’t, this is what I go to. I put on a neutral tone across my lids, throw on a little glitter toward the corner of my eyes, and then go for a statement lip. I usually choose a deep red or bright pink. It draws the attention away from my eyes and onto my lips. 

What I Use

Kylie Cosmetics Lip Gloss: I have the Christmas set full of reds and pinks. They stay matte and even if you makeout with a random in the bar – it will still stay on! 

Eyeliner But Not On the Lid Line

I know that you probably read this and thought “WTF does that even mean?” Basically it’s a new trend the beauty gurus have been sporting, where they take a bold color and do a winged eyeliner look right below the eyebrow. I’ve inserted a picture of @Cohlsworld below so you could get a feel for what I mean. I’ve never been bold enough to try this out, but I’m working up the courage to! 

What I Use

Kat Von D Tattoo Liner: While I don’t fully support Kat because of her beef with Jeffree Star, this eyeliner is the real deal. I could get him by a Cambus and this eyeliner would still stay on. 

For all of these images I used @cohlsworld photos because he is a MUA that I stan. He’s from a town right by where I grew up and his following is growing more and more every day. I follow him to stay on trend and if you don’t follow him I highly recommend it! 

Image Credit: @cohlsworld on Instagram

Payten Little is in her senior year at Iowa majoring in Journalism and Creative Writing. She was the Creative Director for Her Campus at Iowa and loved that she had the ability to curate article ideas for her team, but is taking a step back to focus on her final semester of writing. She hopes to soon move out of the Midwest and to the East Coast to pursue her passion in magazine writing or social media marketing. She believes everyone has a story worth telling and a voice that needs to be heard.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.