This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Being a broke college student is hard; that being said, giving gifts for the holidays is even harder. The dreaded “What do you want for Christmas?” comes out of that certain family member or friend’s mouth, and the thoughts start rushing through your head: “Wait; they’re getting me something?” and “What am I supposed to get them?!”

No need to panic; there are many ways to show you care without spending a ton of green. This year, instead of spending hours at the crowded mall only to give mom another boring candle, make one of these low-cost, homemade gifts. They’re easy, and they mean so much more than something from your local department store. Now, put that wallet away and start crafting!

1. DIY Photo Magnets
  2. Paint Dipped Kitchen Utensils
  3. DIY Gardener’s Hand Scrub
  1. Mod Podge Hangers
  2. DIY Scrabble Coasters
  3. Homemade Barbeque Sauce
  4. Homemade Grill Rub
  5. DIY Coffee Mugs
  6. DIY Mounted Beer Opener
  7. DIY Beer Glasses
  8. DIY Wood Photo Canvas
  9. Brownie in a Bottle
  10. DIY Bath Fizzies
  11. Homemade Vanilla Extract

Photos: Popsugar, Cleverly Simple, One Good Thing By Jillee, LiveLoveDIY, The Gourmet Gab, Gimme Some Oven, Recipe.com, The Realistic Mama, Zest it Up, DIY Ready, The Saw Guy, Call Me Cupcake, Martha Stewart, Tasty Yummies

Hannah is a junior at The University of Iowa. She is a student in The UI School of Journalism and Mass Communication, as well as the Communications Undergrad Program. She is actively involved on campus, and enjoys cooking & working out. She's obsessed with her dog, Toby and hopes to one day work in fashion public relations.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.