Look on the bright side: It’s Abby Mandell!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.
  1. Tell me a bit about yourself.

I’m Abby Mandell, and I’m a junior and an elementary education major. I love eating, being with my friends, watching Disney movies, and eating some more. I transferred to Iowa from Endicott College in Massachusetts because I was attracted to the size, spirit, city, and academics of this amazing school.

2. Describe your fashion sense. Do you feel that you express yourself through it? How does it mark who you are?

I tend to mix styles between comfortable, soft, and semiformal. My favorite things to wear are blouses, high-waisted bottoms, v-necks, and boots. I don’t usually wear sweatpants and t-shirts because I love feeling dressed up and ready to go. I do feel like it expresses who I am because it’s chill, soft, and classy. It marks who I am because I’m consistent with what I wear, and am always confident in it.

3. What is some advice you would give to Freshman girls just starting out about school, social life, life, etc.?

You MUST get involved. I know everyone says it, but it will change your time here at Iowa significantly. My first year here was spent with few friends and little to do because I just stayed in my room. This year, I became an RA, and am so overjoyed with my life right now. Along with getting involved, being smart and confident is a must. Don’t do stupid things just because other people are. Do what you want to do and people will stare in awe at your confidence. You go, girl!

4. Describe your perfect guy and date.

I have had a list of my “perfect guy” qualities since sophomore year of high school. 1) confident, 2) thoughtful, and 3) intelligent. Once I find this man, I think of the perfect date as a very simple one: picking up dinner somewhere and going home to watch a movie (while cuddling, of course).

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.