bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Is Important and Here’s Why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

With more than $1.2 billion raised in support for a cure, the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society sits at the highest tier of research donations. With the money that is continuously being raised, LLS has reached new treatments that are currently being tested – not only individuals with forms of blood cancer, but also those who take on the daily struggle of having other forms of cancer as well. 

Mission

Along with the research for a general cure, LLS also works with patients and advocates for policy changes and renewals. 

LLS helps educate individuals that may be affected by a form of blood cancer. This regards patients, survivors, families and even healthcare professionals. The nonprofit is the top source for free blood cancer information, which aims to help anyone in the situation.

The nonprofit also works to remove barriers that make caring for patients more difficult. They work on both state and federal levels to create better advantages for patients and their families. In the past, the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society has opened doors for treatment access, sped up review and approval processes and helped increase research funds at the federal level.

How

LLS works greatly with fundraising activities, which bring in a large revenue for use by the society itself. The Light the Night Walk takes place every year all around the country to raise both money and awareness. With speakers, teams, and lights to show encouragement and strength, the Light the Night Walk is one of the biggest events put on by LLS. 

The society’s website takes donations every day of the year, allowing for a place where individuals can always donate to the cause. As well as donations, volunteers are always welcomed to create teams and raise more money. Signing up to become an advocate is a form of support that LLS takes very seriously, as well as a handful of other events formed by the nonprofit.

Connection

About every three minutes, a person in the United States is diagnosed with a form of blood cancer. That comes to about 174,250 people in one year. Unfortunately, being affected by cancer seems to be a common thing today, however, the rates of survival are currently around 94% which is incredibly high! Before my step-mom, Tami, turned twenty, finished college, and eventually became a huge part of my life, she was diagnosed with Leukemia.

Years after surviving something that no one should have to take on, Tami leads a team as a part of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. She is helping the growth of knowledge about blood cancers through sharing her story, participating in fundraising and attending important events.

The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society has grown to have a special place in my heart, if not for the many thousands of people that are affected every year, then for the one that plays a huge role in my life. LLS helped give me a bonus mom and I couldn’t be more thankful. 

Check out their website here to learn more and find out how you can help. 

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3

Sydney is currently a Freshman at the University of Iowa, double-majoring in Journalism and Psychology.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.