yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

Let’s FALL into Fall Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

The time is here: the leaves are changing, the temperatures are dropping, the Pumpkin Spice phenomenon is in full force and hot coffees are brewing.  Fall is here, and we all know what that means…sweaters, leggings and boots. 

As much as we all just want to jump right into the cute fall fashion everyone loves as soon as the temps drop below 70 degrees, there are some difficulties that come with the changing weather, especially on a college campus. Often at the beginning of fall, the weather is cold in the morning, but as the sun starts beating on the ten-minute power walk to the next class in the afternoon, we are soon drenched in sweat, and the cute, cozy sweater turns into an instant regret.  Here are some easy tips to transition from those cool summer clothes (or lack of clothes) to cute fall outfits.

Cardigans 

Throw a fun-colored cardigan over a v-neck or plain black with a fun color underneath.  You can find many cardigans that are light in weight, which will eliminate the fear of sweating your booty off in the afternoon but will also give you the comfy fall look. Plus, if push comes to shove, you can take it off, shove it in your backpack and rock the v-neck.

Sandals

It’s always great to show off some feet as long as possible in the fall. Sandals go great with a pair of leggings or your fav skinny jeans. Around campus, I have noticed lots of girls rocking the Birkenstocks (my go-to shoe). They are comfy to walk to class in and allow your feet to have some air rather than being trapped in the super hot sock-boot combo. 

Flannels

Like the cardigan, this is a perfect accessory for cool weather in the morning and hot sun in the afternoon. You can wear it as a jacket in the morning, but when you start getting a little toasty, tie that thing around your waste and, bam, a whole new outfit. A flannel can turn any outfit into a chic, comfortable look. PERFECTION.  

Dresses

Just because it’s getting cooler doesn’t mean that you should immediately throw your cute dresses to the back of the closet. You can totally rock a dress with some long boots or even add some dark tights to warm up the look. The dress is light and will allow you some air, but adding tights or boots will give it the perfect fall touch. 

Mix and Match

Don’t be afraid to mix it up a little bit. Wear a sweater with your favorite jean shorts and some boots. Wear some high-rise skinny jeans with a cute t-shirt.  This is the perfect time to be creative with outfits and get the best of both worlds with a little bit of summer and a little bit of fall clothing.

Go out and rock whatever style you’d like when transitioning from summer to fall, and enjoy doing it while it lasts because soon we will all be looking like big marshmallows in our winter coats! Brrrrrrrr!

Photos via 

https://franklynnblog.wordpress.com/2014/03/24/how-to-style-timberland-b…

www.pinterest.com

Hi, my name is Lexi Atzen. I am a Sophomore at the University of Iowa and am working on a major in Journalism and Mass Communication with an interest in Human Relations. I have strong interests in running, writing, drinking coffee, and football. You can catch me in Kinnick on gamedays and in a coffee shop any other time.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.