Iowa City Student Discounts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Rumor on the street is that college students are broke and constantly balling on a budget. What’s something that makes you feel a little better when you’re shopping? Discounts! A hidden shopping secret is that some stores offer student discounts if you have your student ID with you or if you have a membership with certain organizations like Student Today Alumni Tomorrow (S.T.A.T) or are involved in Greek life.

You can also download an app called “Pocket Points.” It’s an app that rewards you for being in class and not on your phone. For every few minutes you’re in class you get points that can be used as rewards for businesses in Iowa City and online stores. 

Here are some local IC businesses that offer students discounts and deals that your wallet should take advantage of:

Apricot Lane at Coralridge Mall in Coralville offers a 10% student discount if a student brings in their student ID and likes their Facebook page

Java House offers free drinks to Tippie students who participate in the International Buddy program if they show their student ID with the sticker.

Tailgate offers a 15% student discount if you have your S.T.A.T. card or have the Greek Discount Program card.

At Cold Stone Creamery on Saturdays and Sundays, you can get a dollar off a “Gotta Have It” Signature Creation if you show your student ID.

Yotopia has Fro-Yo After Class (FYAC) on Fridays from 3pm-7pm where you can get 15% off if you bring your student ID. You can also recieve 10% off as a member of S.T.A.T. or the UI Greek Program.

Molly’s Cupcakes has specials Monday through Thursday for your cupcake cravings as well as a special for students visiting with a UI VIP lanyard.

Bottom line: Always keep your student ID with you!

Joining programs like S.T.A.T or UI FSL or having apps like “Pocket Points” can be very beneficial in the long run. 

S.T.A.T and the Greek Discount Program offer more discounts, which are listed on their website. 

Amy is currently a senior at the University of Iowa majoring in Journalism and Mass Communication, minor in political science with certificates in Event Planning and Entrepreneurial Management and HC UIowa's Trouble Maker. Her dream job is to work in Public Relations or Event Planning and plans to also become a lawyer, like the 9 years old Amy planned. Whenever she's not writing articles, she's usually online shopping, binging on Netflix, or laughing at her own jokes. Midwestern Prep with the worst luck in the world, you can keep track of her worst case scenarios on Twitter.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.