Style > Beauty

I Tried Overtone Haircare and I’m Never Going Back!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

If you’re like me, coloring your hair is nothing you are unfamiliar to. Sticking with your natural hair color can get boring, and it’s always fun to change things up! However, coloring your hair often comes with some unfortunate side-effects. Dye leaves hair often dried out and brittle and let’s face it, while coloring your hair is fun, no one wants dead hair. So, as a dedicated hair color enthusiast, I went searching for alternatives. 

Luckily, I found a solution: Overtone Haircare. I’m sure most people have already heard of them, seeing as they have blowing up every surface of social media for what feels like months now, but if you don’t know what I am talking about, you’re in for a treat. 

Overtone conditioners are pigmented (that’s how they deposit color), but that is where the similarity with hair dye stops. Overtone pigmented conditioners contain no harmful chemicals — no peroxide, no ammonia, no heavy alcohols, which means nothing that will dry out or damage your hair, even if you apply new colors every day. Since they are only conditioners, the color washes away fairly easy, but there are daily conditioners that keep your color forever looking fresh! Even still, I only apply my daily conditioner maybe once a week, and the color still stays strong!

At first I was skeptical, these color depositing conditions do not lift any color from your hair, and as someone with dark hair, I figured it would be a bust. To my surprise, they have a line of dyes specifically for darker colored hair! Overtone says the conditioners will show results after only 10 minutes of leaving it on your hair, but I recommend leaving it on for 30 minutes for a more pigmented result. Also, it is recommended to apply the product of dry hair which is different than the usual wet hair routine when using dye. I have used Overtone conditioners in two different colors; Extreme Pink and currently I am rocking the Rich Black! I was so excited when I got a fun new color and instead of my hair feeling dried out, and it actually looked more hydrated than it did before the treatment! 

Overtone is a gift sent to us from the hair heavens! It’s even been named a 2019 Allure Best of Beauty Award winner! So if you are looking for a quick, easy way to color your hair and keep it healthy, Overtone is exactly what you need. Below I liked the overtone how-to video that convinced me to try this product out in the first place! Happy coloring, everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxeOyDE4Dh8 

Image Credit: 1, 2

First-year Creative Writing Major at the University of Iowa.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.