I Moved Halfway Across The Country For College & Don’t Regret It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Ever since I chose to attend The University of Iowa, I have been constantly asked the same question: Why? It started from my high school peers back home in coastal Virginia and continued through orientation, move in day and even now. While this question can get kind of repetitive, I totally understand why so many people are perplexed by the idea that I left my family, friends and the beach to come to a school in the Midwest. I came to the University of Iowa not only because I loved the campus and atmosphere, but because of the opportunities that it could give me. Although it has been hard, I don’t regret my decision. Here are the reasons why I am so glad that I got out of my comfort zone and found a new home over a thousand miles away. 

1. It made me more independent

While college eventually helps most people become less dependent on their family and more self reliable, I feel like I became independent faster because I never had the option of just going home for the weekend. I never got to bring my laundry home for my mom to do, and I never got to go home for a home cooked meal. This was extremely hard at times because when things got hard, I wanted to run home to my parents, but not having that option forced me to push through it. I have definitely become stronger because of this, and I am happy with how I have changed since moving to Iowa City. 

2. It has made me prouder of my home state

Before moving to Iowa, I never realized how much I really loved Virginia. I definitely took a lot of things for granted, like the twenty minute drive to the beach, boating on the Chesapeake bay, Wawa (AKA the most amazing gas station) and the abundance of Chick-fil-A’s. Although I love Iowa for different reasons, my love for Virginia and the East Coast has grown since I left. Now I have way too many VA stickers all over my laptop and mugs decorating every surface in my dorm room. I feel like going home for me is way better after spending months away because it makes it so much more special. Everytime I go back I want to experience all of my favorite things from the past and take it all in again. It is definitely worth the wait and the long plane ride. 

3. If I didn’t come to Iowa, I would have never met some of my favorite people

I know that no matter where I ended up, I was bound to make friends and meet some great people. However, I didn’t know for sure if I would make friends that would definitely be my best friends for life. I thought that I could never come close to finding people that came close to being as great as my high school friends, but now I know that I was wrong. I wouldn’t trade those relationships for the world, and that right there is worth the homesickness and the occasional struggle. 

4. It sets me apart

A lot of students at the University of Iowa are out of state students from Illinois or other states in the Midwest. Meeting someone from the East Coast is rare as it is, let alone finding someone else from Virginia. It might not be as cool as saying that I am from London or Australia, but it still sets me apart and makes me feel different among the 30,000 other students on campus. I am glad that I don’t go to a school in Virginia where everyone is from the same place. I love being different and having the opportunity to meet all new people in a completely different atmosphere. 

5. It brought me out of my comfort zone

I knew coming to the midwest that it was going to be different, but I didn’t realize how different it would be. The weather alone was definitely a huge adjustment for me. I only saw snow back home about three times, and I have seen more than that within a week of living in Iowa. I grew to love walking to class in my giant puffy coat. Also, coming to a state where I knew no one was a challenge. I am used to having the same group of girls to do everything with back home, and coming here I didn’t know anyone from the University, let alone this part of the country. I had to break out of my shell and meet new people, and I am really happy with how it all turned out. 

Overall, I am happy with my decision to move to the midwest. It has had it’s ups and downs, but it has all been worth it. I can’t imagine myself anywhere else, and the University of Iowa has become an amazing second home. 

First year Psychology student at The University of Iowa. Made of big dreams and a lot of coffee.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.