I Let My Instagram Control My Bullet Journal & Here’s What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

If you didn’t post it, did it really happen? Social media has become such a large part of our lives and a way to stay connected anywhere we go. Whether it’s live tweeting the Bachelor or posting a cute picture of a coffee shop downtown, social media has now become an extension of our lives.

In a previous article I had written, A Beginner’s Guide to Bullet Journaling, I showed how I create my bullet journal every month and how you can too. But this time, I thought it would be interesting to take this to social media. I went to Instagram and posted polls on my story and allowed my followers to choose the style, theme, lettering and tracker for my February spread.

My followers got to decide between a minimal or busy style that I would base the entire spread on. More than half chose the minimal layout, meaning it would be simple with a few pops of color. Because this is for February, I thought it would be fitting to have them choose between a Valentine’s Day or winter theme. Unsurprisingly, Valentine’s Day was the winner with this one.

person writing outside in notebook
Photo by StockSnap from Pixabay

The last foundational poll decided the type of lettering that I would use to title and accent my pages. They had the choice between calligraphy with a brush pen or printing with a fineliner. I was very happy that they chose calligraphy because it’s fun to do and looks so romantic for a Valentine’s Day theme.

To check in with myself during the month, I asked my followers on whether or not they wanted me to include a mood tracker in my spread this month. Since most people were all for it, I decided to carry on with the love theme and use hearts to track each day of the month. Depending on my mood, I will fill in a heart with the color corresponding with the key. I really enjoy using mood trackers, because they are a great way to keep up with your mental health and identify when you are feeling your best/worst.

Journal opened to September
Photo by Estée Janssens on Unsplash

I had an extra blank page before my weekly calendar, so I wanted to know what I should use to fill the page: quote or collage. Collage was a winner–to my delight–so I went on Pinterest and found some cute, pink pictures to keep the collage cohesive with the rest of the spread.

It was interesting to let my followers take the reins and see what other people preferred. I got to try out some new styles and honestly loved what I was able to create. Social media is such a fun tool to use to get inspired and receive input. Going out of your comfort zone to challenge yourself can lead to creating amazing content. So for those of you who are interested in starting your own bullet journal, go to social media! There are plenty of accounts and resources to help you get started. As for my veterans, share and inspire others to get started. With such amazing results, I may look to social media more often!

Rachel is the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Iowa, and has been in HC Iowa since the beginning of her freshman year. She is a senior at the University of Iowa and is pursing a degree in Journalism and Mass Communication with a certificate in Entrepreneurial Management. Rachel wants to work in digital marketing and graphic design for a beauty, fashion and lifestyle brand in a big city.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.