I Joined An A Cappella Group & Here’s What It’s Like

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

What do you think of when you hear the word a cappella? Let me guess, Pitch Perfect? Yeah, me too. A cappella is music made without any instruments and is only made with voices. I joined one of the campus a cappella organizations, called Iowa Agni (a fusion group, mashing up Hindi and English songs,) and I think it’s one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

I happened to come across an email that the group had sent out, looking for new members to join the Agni family. While I was nervous for auditions (who isn’t?) I was also VERY excited. Auditioning for this group was a spur of the moment decision, and I told myself “Ridhima, you need an outlet for singing, otherwise the people on your floor are going to bang on your door to tell you to shut up.” Yeah, it’s hard belting out that Beyonce song when the walls are so damn thin, and you’re worried that you sound like a dying whale trying to hit those high notes, but also trying to be quiet at the same time. You can’t have it both ways. *sigh*

So I walked into that room at the IMU, ready to sing the song “Listen” by Beyonce and decided that I’d give it my all. The worst that could happen was that they’d say I was a terrible singer and that I should never sing ever again. Okay, that may be a little dramatic, but I was nervous, okay? But, now that I look back, I honestly don’t even know why I was so worried. I saw three friendly faces, and I just felt comfortable. In that moment, I thought to myself that if I was selected in this group I’d be able to be friends with these girls easily, and I’d be just fine. It was as if all the nerves had escaped my body and had been replaced by confidence. Let me just tell you, confidence is key my friends. 

So I sang, feeling perfectly fine and walked out after thinking to myself that it went pretty well, hoping that I had made it because I’ve been wanting to join an a cappella group ever since coming here to the university. 

And so I got the email, saying that I had gotten in and at our first practice I realized that singing is one of the most fascinating things one can do on this planet. We literally made music with our voices, sounding great. It was just awesome. It flowed, and it sounded right, making me realize that every member in our group has a role. Michael Scott is how I almost reacted to hearing us sing for the first time. 

It’s not only about the singing though. Sure it’s a great outlet for singing your heart out, but spending time with the other members of Iowa Agni allowed me to make friends who are super chill and who are passionate about the same thing as you are. We’ve also got our first performance coming up soon, so wish us luck! But I have no doubt that with teamwork, we’re going to be just fine.  

With jam sessions at the beginning and end of practices, and the inside jokes that start to form, you feel a part of something great. And if you asked me “Ridhima, if you could go back in time, would you do it all over again?”

I totally would. 

Photos: cover 

Ridhima Jagtap is a college newbie, a.k.a a freshman, working towards a degree in the field of journalism. You'll often find her chasing after cats and watching adorable cat videos on YouTube. If she's not doing this then she'll be singing her lungs out so that her whole floor can hear her. She hopes to blow people away with writing what she's passionate about. Books, music and a lot of animals!
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.