I Ended Up On #BookTok: Here Are 3 Books That Everyone Should Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

books on bookstore shelf
Photo by Alfons Morales from Unsplash
Every since the pandemic I have been trying to find a way to kill time, at first it was watching all the shows that I always wanted to but never did. Then it turned into movies, then Youtube, and finally TikTok. I found myself ending up on different sides of TikTok, and the next thing I knew I was getting different recommendations for books. I thought maybe I could get back into reading, I was a huge reader up until junior year of high school and it brought me a lot of joy, little did I know that my obsession with reading would be brought back in full force. Now I have spent a ton of money and time on my old love of reading and I am excited to share it with you all!

A Court of Thrones and Roses Series, By Sarah J. Mass

This series helped me find my way back to reading, it was pure fantasy and I loved every second of it. A Court of Thrones and Roses Series, By Sarah J. Mass, is an amazing series, however, the first book is not the best, not to say it not a great book but the rest of the series is far better. As the series goes on it moves more away from the development of the plot and more to the development of the characters, which if you not into that then maybe this book isn’t for you. But if you love, romance, adventure, and moody bad boys with a heart of gold then this is a must for you! The newest book for this series that just came out was heart-wrenchingly beautiful and probably my favorite out of the series. Overall, it is a great series that is still ongoing and it helped me get back into reading!

Normal People By Sally Rooney

Now if fantasy isn’t really your thing then Normal People is a great book for you. Normal People deal with real life and at times can hit a little close to home, it made me cry which doesn’t happen too often in books. It deals with the difficult and complex issues that are around teenagers becoming adults. With that being said your in for a ride because as a young adult myself my issues are can be difficult and complex. This book gives you a sense of realness that can also be found on the TV series based on this book.

The Invisible of Addie Larue, By V.E Schwab

This book was everywhere and everyone was recommending it and for good reason. Now I don’t want to give anything away so this is going to have to be short and you’re going to have to trust me. But you need to read this book, it timeless and you will be grateful that you were able to experience this masterpiece. In the end, you will be an emotional wreck but it will be worth it.

open books laid out
Photo by Patrick Tomasso from Unsplash

I hope you find a love for reading as much as I have found these past few months! Here is also a list of some more books that you might want to look into!

• The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
  • Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin
  • Red, White, and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston
  • Crescent City by Sarah J. Mass
  • Circe by Madeline Miller
  • Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo

variety of book stacks
Photo by Ed Robertson from Unsplash

Cora Murphy

U Iowa '22

Cora is currently a junior at the University of Iowa and is double majoring in Political Science and History. She hopes to showcase topics that she finds essential whether that be traveling or what's happening in the government. She is currently on track to graduate in 2022 and plans to either go to law school or grad school. She finds the french revolution fascinating, and she loves her cat ( her name is Gabby), she is a huge nerd when it comes to marvel, star wars, and avatar the last airbender, and she is currently becoming a plant mom who loves to cook. She has volunteered with many organizations such as Wounded Warriors and the DAR to name a few, and currently just got done with an internship with a U.S congress member. Cora has studied abroad at Oxford University and found a love for Shakespeare there. Cora is currently a member of the Alpha Delta Pi sorority, on Iowa's mock trial team, and is in the UNICEF chapter for the University of Iowa. Cora still has so much more planned and can't wait to share it with you all on this platform.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.