I Dance in College – Here’s What I Really Do Everyday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

So – what is a day in the life of a dance major really like?

The beginning of the fall semester is one of the busiest times of the year in the Dance Department, and it’s all-hands-on-deck to get ready for our biggest performance of the year, Dance Gala. We’re fortunate enough for the opportunity to perform on the Hancher stage this year, and it’s a show you’re not going to want to miss.

What most people don’t see, however, is the countless hours of creating, working, and sweating in the studios of Halsey Hall in order to put on this event. For us dancers, it’s the best time of the year, and although the days are long, I get to spend it all with my friends making new dance moves and continuing to do what I love each day at school. I could talk for days about how rewarding my time as a dancer in college has been (but I’ll try not to!).

Here’s the inside scoop about what really happens day-to-day inside Halsey Hall.

10 a.m. – Ballet

After dragging myself out of bed (definitely not a morning person) and packing an extra set of clothes for my afternoon classes and some snacks for the day, I head out to Halsey for ballet. Ballet and modern technique classes are held daily and are essential for every dance major. Each technique class is an hour and twenty minutes long, and I definitely get an amazing workout from this morning class!

11:30a.m. – Dancers In Company Rehearsal

After downing my first coffee of the day, it’s time for my first rehearsal. I’m a member of our department’s own touring dance company, and we squeeze in an hour of rehearsals in our lunch periods to learn the repertoire that we’ll perform across the Midwest in the spring semester! We’re also preparing for our home concert that will happen in February. Always staying busy – that’s for sure!

12:30 p.m. – Lunch + Homework

This semester I’m only taking ballet class in the morning to help myself stay injury free and on top of my studies, which is hard alongside all of the rehearsal processes that I’m a part of. My lunch period is an essential time for me to get a jump on some assignments so I won’t be up so late at night finishing those pesky papers.

Also, lunch. My favorite meal of the day!

2 p.m. – Academic Classes

I squeeze my journalism and academic dance classes into my late afternoons. From Graphic Design to Brazilian Carnival and Culture, I get exposure to a wide variety of topics each semester, which keeps my learning fresh and exciting!

3:30 p.m. – Senior Seminar + Life Planning

One of my favorite parts of my day! My fellow senior dance majors and myself get together every other day for a senior seminar led by some of our dance faculty members. It has been an essential part of my senior year, and helps me to start to plan what I want to do following graduation, and brainstorm the ways that I can keep dance in my life! We get to connect to our dance department alumni and other dance experts, and it has been so eye-opening these past five weeks! I can’t recommend these seminar classes enough.  

5:00 p.m. – Dinner in the Lounge

Following my last class of the day, I grab some dinner from the IMU and head back to Halsey to eat, catch up with some friends, and stretch and mentally prepare for my last rehearsal of the evening. This is the best time to roll out those sore muscles and do some stretching to prevent any injuries. Self care, at its finest!

5:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. – Rehearsal

At 5:30 each night I head to one of my rehearsals for Dance Gala. Which one I go to alternates with the day of the week, so I never miss a night in Halsey! We spend three hours creating moves and phrases for our dance pieces and then rehearsing to refine them as November gets closer and closer! This is also one of my favorite activities of my day and although it’s late, I get to do it with some of my favorite people by my side.

9:00 p.m. – Snacks + Homework

Finally… home! I decompress from a long day dancing with my favorite lavender candle and a late-night snack (I highly recommend Babybel cheese and pretzels and peanut butter for these cravings). Here’s where the afternoon homework session comes in handy, and I spend my night hanging out with my roommates, wrapping up some assignments, and playing a few rounds of Mario Kart.

The days as a dance major are definitely long, but I wouldn’t change a thing about them! So, that’s what really goes on inside Halsey Hall – a lot of hard work and a lot of laughs! We hope to see you at our performances this year!

Image Credits: Photo 1, Photo 2 

Senior at the University of Iowa studying Dance and Journalism.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.