This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

If you are hurrying to get dressed in the morning, putting a necklace on may not be the first thing you think of. However, a necklace is one of the simplest and quickest ways to take your outfits to the next level. Below is a guide to a few different types and how to style them!

Statement

Let’s start with my personal favorite: statement necklaces! While these can be intimidating due to their size, they are actually super easy to wear. A statement necklace is a great way to dress up anything plain; try a tee or dress with a higher neckline so that the necklace will pop out against the fabric. A turtleneck is also perfect as the weather gets colder. 

Collared shirts are also great because the collar with help to keep the statement necklace in place all day. Layer a sweater over the shirt to be extra cozy.

Long

Long necklaces are a simple way to amp up your outfit without necessarily making the jewelry the focus. If you don’t wear jewelry often, these are a good way to ease into wearing necklaces. Try wearing one with a V-neck for a cute, casual look.  

Delicate

Delicate necklaces are probably the most versatile of necklaces. Due to their subtlety, they can literally be worn with anything from a plain tee to a fancy dress. Try layering necklaces of different lengths for a unique, personalized look.

Choker

Chokers have made a comeback! Embrace the trend and add some edge to your next dressy outfit: try pairing a black choker with a scoop neck top so that the attention can be brought to it. If you’re wanting to wear a choker for a more everyday look, pair a delicate one with a tank or Henley tee. Or take inspiration from the model below and combine edgy and delicate chokers for an elegant look. 

A couple of my favorite affordable places to buy jewelry are Target and Charming Charlie. Charming Charlie is especially accessible as the entire store is color-coded. Bauble Bar is a great website if you are wanting to splurge a little more. The website is categorized by necklace type so you can find exactly what you are looking for. The sale section on the site also has some great deals. Treat yourself to necklaces that catch your eye. And next time you find yourself tiring of your outfits or frantically rushing to look cute, throw a necklace on for another dimension to your look!   

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.