How to Transition Your Makeup for Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

With fall comes the promises of changing leaves, cozy sweaters and boots, pumpkin patches and the anticipation of the holidays. The transition into a new season also gives us the perfect opportunity to switch up our makeup. Here are some simple ideas and product recommendations to help you swap out your bright, summer shades for the warmer and deeper tones of fall. 

Eyes 

Eyeshadow is a great way to incorporate fall colors (think shades of brown, orange and purple) into your makeup. You can never go wrong with a copper eye; simply swipe a shimmery copper shade across your eyelid, add some mascara, and you are good to go! Maybelline Color Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze (pictured below) is a cream eyeshadow and can be applied with your fingers, so it works great for those rushed mornings. 

Another eye look for fall is a matte smokey eye. All it takes is three eyeshadows that you may already have: start by sweeping a neutral tan shade across the entire lid, add a light purple in the crease, and finish it off with a dark purple in the outer corner of the eye, blending into the crease. YouTuber Carli Bybel’s palette is a great affordable palette; try the 2 purple shades in the top right (pictured). 

If eyeliner is a staple for you, try mixing it up with some purple eyeliner. Almay’s Intense eyeliner in Purple Amethyst adds a subtle pop, and it’s a mechanical pencil, so no sharpening necessary! A dark brown eyeliner (like this one from L’Oreal) is also great to add natural definition to your eyes while incorporating an earthy tone.

Eyebrows

While bold brows are still popular in high fashion, natural brows are also trending. A tinted eyebrow gel works great for grooming and filling out your natural brow shape, plus it adds barely any time to your routine. NYX tinted brow mascara is a good drugstore option that comes in multiple shades.  

Cheeks

While blush can be easily overlooked, it’s fun to mix that up as well. If you are wanting to switch out the coral and peach shades of summer, try a rosier blush to emulate the flush you get when walking in the crisp fall air. When buying a blush, it’s important to make sure the shade is not too dark or too light for your skin tone, otherwise it can wash you out or gear too close to a clown-esque look. The Maybelline Fit Me blush line is great because it categorizes different shades of blush based on skin tone. As always, Cara Delevingne serves as the ultimate inspiration with her subtle flush. 

Lips

Now is the time to bring back the dark lipsticks! Any berry or red toned lipstick is perfect for fall. For a berry lipstick with purple undertones, Mac’s cult favorite Rebel is gorgeous. Rimmel’s Lasting Finish by Kate lipstick in 107 is said to be YouTuber Zoella’s favorite lipstick and is a great drugstore option. Both of these lipsticks are versatile with all skin tones. Take inspiration from these stunning ladies to rock your own dark lip.

Of course, all of these ideas are just suggestions. Get creative; from Pinterest to the leaves on the sidewalk, inspiration is everywhere! Even the smallest change in your makeup routine can give you an extra boost of confidence. Good luck, and have fun!

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.