This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

I recently discovered Trader Joe’s, and all I can say is I’m hooked. Before when I would drive past it, I never bothered to stop. I just assumed it was another overpriced grocery store that sold a couple of organic products. I couldn’t have been more wrong. Trader Joe’s stocks a wide array of healthy food options, and treats their customers like literal royalty. 

Guaranteed Free Samples

Free samples- the best part of going to the grocery store. I don’t know about you, but when I go to Hy-Vee or any other grocery store, I’m always scouting for free samples. Unfortunately, I only come across them 20% of the time. However, every single time I have been to Trader Joe’s, there has been a booth with two, yes two, free samples. I love Trader Joe’s for everything that they sell, but they get bonus points in my book for daily samples. In addition, everything I have sampled has been amazing. Who doesn’t love free food?

No Seriously, Free Samples

Did I mention that you can taste test anything? One time while shopping, I asked an employee what a particular bakery item was. She enthusiastically replied, “Would you like to try it?” Of course, I said yes, and at that same moment I learned that as long as you ask an employee, you are allowed to sample whatever you would like in the store. Nothing in the world is more annoying than getting home and opening up that new bag of chips only to discover that they’re disgusting. But wait, I have more news for you.

Full Refunds!

Remember when I said nothing is more annoying than getting home and hating the food you bought? Well, Trader Joe’s has a return policy where as long as you bring the receipt and the original packaging, you can get a full refund. The entire bag of chips can be empty, but if you bring that receipt and the packaging, full refund. I was shook when I heard this. 

Employee Attitudes

Employees can really make or break the environment and the vibe you feel while shopping. At Trader Joe’s, the employees are so upbeat and friendly that I can’t help but be in a good mood every time I shop there. It’s definitely a change of pace when employees act like they want to be there. Not to mention the Hawaiian shirts they wear are so cute, too.

Trader Joe’s may be the best discovery I have ever made in my 20 years of life. As someone who is new to adulting, I’m so thankful I found a place to do my grocery shopping where the products are amazing and affordable, but I am also guaranteed free samples and greeted by friendly employees! I hope you all visit TJ’s soon to understand my love for this grocery store. 

Image Credit: Image 1, GIF 1, GIF 2

Teresa is from Clarksville, Iowa and is a sophomore at the University of Iowa studying business administration. In addition to Her Campus, she is a member of the sorority Alpha Chi Omega. Teresa spends her free time drinking coffee or binge-watching Hulu.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.