How to Still Have Fun if You’re Stuck on Campus for Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Thanksgiving break is finally here! Unfortunately, not everyone is able to go home for the break. Luckily, Iowa City is full of fun activities and events, so you can still have a good break even if you’re stuck on campus. Here’s a list of fun things to do besides binging Netflix all day.

Holiday Market

Date: Saturday, Nov. 17

Time: 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Location: Iowa City Parks & Recreation/Robert A. Lee Community Recreation Center

Price: Free entry

It’s never too early to start holiday shopping. Check out Iowa City’s Holiday Market for homegrown, homemade and handcrafted food and gifts for the holidays.

Movie: Free Bird

Dates/Times: Saturday, Nov. 17; Sunday, Nov. 18; Thursday, Nov. 22

Times: Sat. & Sun. 10 a.m., Thurs. 3:30 p.m.

Location: FilmScene

Price: $5

Travel back in time with Jake (Woody Harrelson) and Reggie (Owen Wilson) as they try to prevent turkeys from becoming Thanksgiving’s official holiday dinner. This film will have you think twice about what you put on the dinner table.

Ice Skate

Date: All year

Time: Varies (check out the Coral Ridge Mall Ice Arena’s official website for the schedule)

Location: Coral Ridge Mall Ice Arena

Price: $6 admission, $3 skate rental

Accomplish your dream of becoming an ice princess during the public skate at the Coral Ridge Ice Arena. The rink is open to all ages and levels of ice skaters. Plus, it is in the mall, convenient if you want to grab a bite at the food court or do some shopping before or after.

The Haunted Bookshop

Date: All year (closed on Thanksgiving)

Time: Mon.-Sat. 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Sun. 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Location: 219 N. Gilbert St.

Price: Free entry  

The Haunted Bookshop is a secondhand bookstore that carries over 50,000 books. It’s a must stop if you’re looking for something to read over break, and did I mention they have cats?

Hot Tub

Date: All year

Time: vary (check out the Rec’s website for the schedule

Location: Campus Recreation & Wellness Center

Price: Free

Relax away the stress of the semester by visiting the hot tub at the Rec. You can also check out the lazy river and sauna.

This is only a list of a few activities you can do. For more events and activities around Iowa City, you can check out Think Iowa City. Happy Thanksgiving break!

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Just a girl who loves to write.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.