How To: Stay Healthy During Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Halloween is approaching quickly and a staple for this holiday usually involves candy. If you are like me the fear of gaining that unwanted number on the scale drives me to steer clear of the sweets entirely. Luckily there are treats out there that can trick the scale and satisfy that sweet tooth.

1.Pretzel M&M’s—This certain product is great because it has that chocolate covering and yet it’s chewy. It’s only 150 calories a package as well.

2.Dark Chocolate— If you have to choose between milk or dark chocolate, always go to dark! It can lower your blood pressure and it has less antioxidants than milk chocolate. A miniature dark chocolate can total to be 45 calories.

3.Whoppers—For anybody that has that chocolate craving go to whoppers. This candy is nice because you can consume a large quantity with less calories, 18 milk balls only totals to 180 calories and 63 calories from fat!

4.Dried Raspberries—Dried Raspberries are a healthy option because they are still sweet and only 120 calories. Also for health benefits they are high in fiber.

5.Sugar-free Gum or Jelly Beans—The benefits of grabbing a stick of gum is that it is only about 5 calories and it reduces cravings. Also a jelly bean is only 2 calories per bean.

One thing to remember is that candy is high in sugar and it’s best to eat in moderation with this food group. Don’t feel bad for eating candy though, it allows someone to feel pleasure and reduces the chance of binge eating in the future. So put down the candy corn and eat these healthier options instead. 

Photo Source: http://Wikipedia.com

Peter Frankman is an underclassman at the University of Iowa from Burbank, California. He has a few addictions in his life: writing, reading, heavy metal, Adult Swim, and any movie with zombies. He joined The University of Iowa's Her Campus team as the writer of the "From a Guy's Perspective" articles in January 2011 and hasn't looked back since (except to make sure he doesn't write the same article twice). Peter's a major in both Journalism and Creative Writing and hopes to become a writer in some way, shape or form after he graduates. That or the President of the United States, he hasn't really focused too much to say anything decisive yet... or maybe he has, we're not quite sure. If he had to choose a night of guilty pleasures it would include the Beastie Boys, Monster Import: Light, Zebra Cakes, and a marathon of subpar movies that he thinks are amazing (Blade, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fast and the Furious, etc).