How to stay focused and finish the spring semester strong

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Alright collegiates…it’s that time of the semester again. With spring break behind us and only five weeks left in the semester, I think I speak for all of us when I say that we start to slack in our school work a bit with dreams of summer directly around the corner. Might I remind you, though, that school isn’t done, which means there is homework to be done, tests to study for and classes to attend! Here are a few ways to keep yourself focused these next five weeks so you aren’t dropping the ball on deadlines and skipping class.

1.    Get enough sleep. You know what I mean by enough, too. A full eight hours will keep you well rested and awake the next day to stay focused in class.

2.    Eat good foods and don’t skip breakfast. Since breakfast jump starts your morning and keeps you fuller during the day, you’re less likely to consume sugary snacks, which can result in crashes throughout the day making you tired and grouchy. Eat meals that contain healthy, lean protein and good carbs like veggies and fruits. Eating good foods will not only help you stay focused and energized, but also get you ready for that beach body we all want in a few weeks as well!

3.    Stay away from prescription drugs. This includes Adderall, Ritalin and other stimulant drugs. Unless your doctor is prescribing these medicines for medical conditions, do not try and pawn some off of a friend or roommate. When taken, they can actually result in symptoms that are disruptive to studying. Also, avoid energy drinks that contain high amounts of sugar and additives. They result more often in crashes than actual continuous enery.

4.    Take a break! With the weather getting warmer everyday, break up study sessions by going for a walk or doing a bit of stretching. Try studying for 45 minutes then taking a 15-minute break. If you continue to study with no break you might find yourself falling asleep, losing focus or reading information without actually absorbing and understanding it.

Some other helpful tips include creating a timeline, seeking extra help from friends, family, TA’s and professors and to also get an early start on things and not wait until the last minute. If you can, kill two birds with one stone, a common mantra that literally means do two things at once. It’ll save you time that you will later need and appreciate.

While you’ve heard all of these tips before, it means one thing to just read through them and another to actually do them. Try and commit to really focusing on schoolwork these next five weeks. You’re grades aren’t set in stone yet, so follow these tips and finish the semester strong!

She is a senior at the University of Iowa majoring in Journalism with a minor in English. On top of being a campus correspondent for Her Campus, Adrian is also a brand ambassador for Quad, a communications intern for Pearson and the marketing director of Iowa's Ed On Campus chapter. When she isn't rereading Harry Potter for the hundredth time, Adrian is playing with her English Bulldog, Stella, or looking at pictures of French Bulldogs on Pinterest. She hopes to someday move into a bigger apartment that can accommodate many pets, write the next greatest novel that will take the world by storm, and be a contributing editor or EIC of a major publication or publishing house.