How To: Organize your neck-wear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

If any of you collegiettes are like me, you have way too many necklaces and nowhere to put them.  The racks that you can buy online and in stores are often too small.  So they end up piled up all over apartments – hung off door handles, piled on dressers and strewn across desks.  This harsh treatment can quickly lead to tangles and chain breaks, which are dire consequences for any budding fashionista.  Luckily for you, I have a cheap an easy solution that looks great and isn’t hard to complete.  All it takes is a trip to the hardware store and a little bit of wall space.
Supplies:

• 4 to 6 drawer pulls or knobs
  • BildEX easy anchor twists (size 6-8)
  • Vice
  • Hacksaw

First step – Use the hacksaw to saw off the heads of the screws that come with the knobs.  You need something that can screw into the knob and into the anchor into your wall.  This will make it look like a long screw that doesn’t have anywhere to put a screwdriver.
Second step – Drill holes into your wall using the screws that came with the anchors.  Remove the screws from the wall.
Third step – Hammer the plastic anchors into the wall.
Fourth step – Screw the knob onto the headless screws and twist those into the anchors.
And finally, celebrate your brilliance and handiness girl!  You did it.  You’ll never have trouble keeping your jewelry safe and gorgeous again.

Photo credit: 

suziesparkle, Flickr

Brynne Schweigel is a senior studying Journalism and Mass Communication as well as Political Science at the University of Iowa. She currently contributes fashion pieces to the University of Iowa Her Campus branch's blog. She writes weekly for the University of Iowa's Center for Global and Regional Environmental Research's blog, the Iowa Environmental Focus, and had pieces published in The Daily Iowan. She spent the Spring 2010 semester interning at the state capitol in Des Moines. In her spare time, Brynne enjoys shopping, reading, running, listening to music and playing with her puppy, Bonnie.  She will graduate in December 2011 and hopes to move somewhere that never has snow.
Nicole Lumbreras is a junior at University of Iowa, class of 2012, studying Journalism and Sociology. Born and raised in the suburbs of Chicago, Nicole loves to explore new restaurants, see live music and attend sporting events. Nicole loves to travel, dance, write in her blog and takes pleasure in the art of photography. Nicole loves to spend time with her friends and family, and when time allows she will get her fill of Bad Girls Club, Glee, So You Think You Can Dance, and Grey's Anatomy. Nicole recently got foot surgery and rediscovered running; her goal is to run a half marathon before she is 25. After college she plans to move into the city (Chicago) with a American bulldog, attend graduate school at night and hopefully write for Chicago Magazine or another fun and upcoming project.