How-To: Master the Art of Decision-Making

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

We are all faced with tough decisions everyday. Some are easy but others may be bigger and more difficult decision, which can make you stressed, anxious, and cause you to do some very reckless things, resulting in disappointment. I’ve been there and I don’t want anyone to have to go through that. Here are some tips that can help you make a big decision and avoid all of the bad stuff that typically comes with it.

Go with your gut
People may say that there are better options than relying on instinct, but in many cases, going with your gut gives you a better outcome. When deciding what ice cream to buy, it’s ok to be rational, but when it comes to the bigger decisions, like which job to take, it’s better to listen to your instincts. Weigh the pros and cons of your major decision and let your gut make the decision during the tiebreaker.

Don’t leave it up to chance
This is a major decision and it can’t be left up for your horoscope to decide. This is your life – take control, weigh it all, and make a decision.

Sleep on it

Everyone says sleeping on it works best, but don’t sleep on it for too long. Make it one night at the most, because the longer you sleep on it, the harder it is to make your decision and before you know it, the opportunity is long gone.

Forget the haters
Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t do something. If someone is telling you making this decision is a bad idea and you will never succeed, then they are just jealous. Don’t let someone’s jealousy ruin a great opportunity for you.

Don’t forget the long-term consequences
Make sure to weigh all possible outcomes, even the ones way down the road. Try playing out each scenario in your head and consider the outcome for each before making your move.

Talk to someone

But don’t tell everyone.Pick a few people to talk to about your situation – your parent, best friend, boyfriend, or someone you talk to about everything, but avoid telling every person you meet on the street. The more people you talk to, the more opinions you have. With all of the opinions in your mind, it doesn’t help making your decision any easier and can cloud your judgment even more.

Have a drink

Make yourself a cocktail to relieve some stress, but limit yourself to one. One can help think more clearly and relieve any unwanted stress and anxiety, but more than one clouds your judgment and makes it difficult to think about the decision needing to be made.

The past can’t always predict the future
Don’t rely on past experience. Remember that the past is in the past and you are in the present. Look at each new opportunity in a fresh and new mindset. 

Hopefully these decision-making tips can’t help you out the next time a big decision comes your way! Let us know in the comments below your best decision-making tips! 

Emily is a junior at the University of Iowa and is studying Journalism and Pre-Law with a minor in Health Communication. She has been a part of the Her Campus University of Iowa team since it was founded in 2010 and is a member of Ed on Campus. She has grown to love magazine writing and editing and if she somehow can't land her dream job (to be Carrie Bradshaw), she wouldn't mind settling for a job in the magazine industry. If nothing else, she hopes to attend law school somewhere in the Bay Area out West, her favorite place to be. Since the age of 15, Emily spent her summers in California, doing internships and falling in love with San Francisco. Some of her other interests include her 4-month-old longhaired wiener dog Henry, blogging, celebrity gossip, sushi, Private Practice, fro-yo, being a journalism nerd, and anything involving good conversation with good people. Although she's not exactly sure of her plans for the future, she knows journalism will somehow be the driving force in her career.